Sign in to follow this  

Yamaha yz 450 2011

So I'm an improving daily yet not quite expert rider yet, and my buddy INSISTS I have my suspension done even tho he's never rode my bike. I feel comfy and most others say since yamahas have great stock suspension that I should leave alone til I'm a stronger rider ......... Thoughts anyone?

Springs for your weight and fixing the balance issue with this bike is a must imo

I have ordered the pro circuit longer linkage arm for my 11 yz 450, I have heard it really improves the balance

I will be re valving also for off road, also I want to add a little more rebount to the shock, it feels very lively stock

Everyone is different, and you might be the guy the suspension was set up for at the factory. If the bike's not doing anything that you think needs to be corrected at this point, then leaving it alone may be the thing to do.

OTOH, everything can be improved, and as Stu2 mentioned, the Japanese habitually build in too little rebound in the shock. Correcting that alone often helps stabilize the front quite a bit in whoop sections and the like. But as far as alternative linkages are concerned, a lot of tuners find them unnecessary if the shock is set up correctly. If the bike isn't sprung correctly for your weight, the rest won't ever really be right.

The faster you become, the more any flaws in the suspension action are going to reveal themselves. Personally, I'm not fast by most standards, but I can't imagine going back to the stock suspension on mine. I can go a lot faster for a lot longer on what I have than on what I had.

Grayracer why do you think they have so little rebound? I used a ttx shock for two cross country races and it made my whole bike feel so great and stable, it even cornered way better,

That was on my yz 250f, I am going to the open class next season so I got an 11 yz 450, I have only had two rides on it but what I can feel is the bike balance favours the front a lot making the forks feel soft and they dive quite a lot on breaking,

I have not changed springs yet but will be doing it this week, I hope with a bit of work I can get the shock to be close to what the ttx was

Grayracer why do you think they have so little rebound?

Trying to fathom why any motorcycle is set up the way a lot of them are may be less productive than trying to psychoanalyze 20 year-old women. I just know that lot's of them are built way too "springy" for my tastes.

My understanding from looking at posted build sheets is that the latest YZF's don't need as much rebound added as some older models (I couldn't believe what we ended up doing to my '06), but the RB is still a little weak.

Search this forum and the YZ450 forum for specific user experiences with springs. I can't point to one, but I seem to recall that people though the front and rear springs on the bike didn't match each other very well.