Sign in to follow this  

Which bike for harescrambles????

hey everyone. i am planning on trying out harescrambles this season in nj. I have a 2004 crf250r and a 2003 yz250f. I cant choose whether i want the steel or alluminum frame. Also what do i need to do to actually sign up for the races. I realize these two bikes are older and everyone is going to say to buy a new bike but i wanna try them first.

Thanks

Nothing wrong with older machines, either of those bikes should do a fine job if they're well prepaired. Most racing clubs have websites that explain what is required for their races (AMA card, Offroad tabs, sound check, etc), it varies.

I'll bet if you post which race(s) you plan to run, you'll find some guys on here local to you that can bring you up to speed as well.

Nothing wrong with either one of those bikes.

Only bike advise I'd give, is to go with the one you feel the most comfortable on, and feel is the easiest to ride.

Gotta remember, motocross is a 20-30 minute heat, then you get to rest. Harescramble is 2 hours of hauling ass through the woods with no breaks. That last lap can be a long one.:busted:

As for what you need to sign up, your race series organization should have a web site with all the details you'll need to be prepared when you get to the venue.:busted:

If you want to go north and race in NY and CT then check out netra.org

Just buy the bike in the nicest shape. Anything within 15 years isn't old if your just doing some hare scrambles. Many KDXs out there and they are 1989 technology.

a good set of bark busters and it sounds like your ready cause you are going to down and levers get expensive after a few sets

I am going to be in the ecea. And thanks everyone. Btw anyone know where i can get some cheap bark buster mounts i have the bar across the hand grips but no mounts

Bark Busters are not something to go cheap on. A few years back I bought 3 sets of Tusk bark busters at a bargain price and mounted them on three different bikes. The mounts quickly broke on all three; 2 did so during races.

Moose racing seems to have a solid product for a moderate price. I have also heard that the Tusk busters have been redesigned, but I'm not going to try them.

Regarding your bikes, they will be fine to get started on. As noted above, these are far longer races than other things you may have tried. Whatever bike you choose, go over it carefully, and in particular make sure the cooling system is in perfect operating condition. I don't think you will need much more than bark busters to get started (I grew up in jersey--don't remember much in the way of rocks). Choose a good set of intermediate tires-you might check what others are running.

For yourself, I would suggest wearing some kind of cycling type short for underwear. These long races can produce monkey butt like you would not believe! Target sells silly looking black men's underwear made of material like cycling shorts that works very well for reducing monkey butt. Also, get a large capacity drink system (like a camelback), and tear offs for your goggles (and some guys place an extra set of goggles along the course to pick up if needed).

Finally, get yourself in shape if you need to. And when you go to the gym, DON'T wear gloves to workout. The calluses you build up will help protect your hands in the long races.

Yes, Moose handguards seem to be good for the money. Also look into a skid plate.

I am going to be in the ecea. And thanks everyone. Btw anyone know where i can get some cheap bark buster mounts i have the bar across the hand grips but no mounts

I race the ecea circuit too. To start you will need a good set of bark busters, enduro engineering, are the most popular and the style I use. A skid plate if you value your engine. We race WV, DEL, NJ, PA and NY. All gret races and all great people.

The minimum you will need is an AMA memebership and an ECEA membership. You can get both when you sign up for your first race. Helmet, goggles, and boots. I highly suggest full riding gear, helmet goggles, long sleeve shirt, riding pants, gloves, roost gaurd, boots, knee pads and a hydration pack. Neck brace is also a great idea. Bring extra goggles and gloves.

The best thing to do is find your local ECEA club on the website, ecea.org. Join the club and help out. You will learn so much and have a much better idea of what is going for your first race. You also need to be a member of one of the culbs to gain points toward higher classes.

How old are you?

Have you ever raced before, not just harescrambles, motox, enduro's, any type of organized dirt bike racing, if so what class?

Edited by YZPaGuy

Im 16 and never raced before but my friend races and i keep up with him alright and i know what u r saying about the compression shorts. I play football start varsity so im in prety good shape. When does the race season start

You will race in the C 4-stroke open class. The race season starts in March, weather permitting. If you want to try a race there is one left this season. It is in Delaware at Blue Diamond Motocross track. It is 1/2 motox and 1/2 harescramble. Wide open easy riding. It's a two day event so you will only be racing with other C guys, which is good.

http://www.ecea.org/ecea/index.php

When you go to the home page click on the schedule at the top of the page. The flyer for the race will be available soon.

Just go out to have fun. Don't take your first couple of races too seriously. Just get used to them, the flow, markers and stuff like that. They are a ton of fun and will teach you sooo much about riding a dirt bike. You have to do the WV and PA races. Get introduced to the rocks, it will make a real rider out of you!