Sign in to follow this  

Rust?!

so when i bought the bike few months ago it was mint, basically brand new. after a while and a few washes i realized random parts on the bike starting to rust.nothing significant but tiny spots here or there.. nuts up near the handlebars, spokes, some of the parts even on the motor. just curious on why this has started all of a sudden now? i'm usually pretty good about drying it off after a wash, but still..

After every wash I always spray a light coat of wd40 on all the bolts and engine or anything that can rust. It seems to help. Just don't be surprised when you start your bike up the next time and the layer of wd40 burns off and smokes.

I just tried something new. I took anything that gets that crappy rusty brown look, bead blasted them, then Parkerized them with manganese phosphate. Nice and black now. I still dry the bike after washing with the leaf blower, but now I don't even need to spray all that stuff down with WD... Though I usually still do. Did both axels & nuts, lever pivot bolts, peg pins & springs, brake return spring, fork pinch bolts, even the exhaust springs.

MANGANESE PHOSPHATING

manganese-phosphate-M70-k5.jpg

any way to remove the rust that has already formed? wd 40 will not harm anything?