Sign in to follow this  

09 CRF450X VS. 05 CRF450X Which should I buy?

Hi guys. I'm considering an 09 CRF 450X for $4500 and an 05 CRF450X for $3500. Both are in excellent condition. I'm looking to do some trail rides through Mexico and hit some trails in Southern California. Weekend warrior type stuff. I'm not a racer and I don't hammer my bikes. Just wondering if it's worth the extra dough to buy the 09 or save some money for a gas tank and some other goodies. Are there any significant differences besides the steering stabilizer? Thanks for your honest opinions.

The '09 does have a few updates:

- different frame: mostly just how it is constructed; no geometry change

- different triple clamps: 22 vs 24, for tighter/better turning

- updated carb: accelerator pump upgrade, which you can duplicate on an '05

- updated transmission: 3rd driven gear has a bushing, and the shaft has an additional oil passage. Using 1 qt of oil instead of the recommended amount of .75 seems to negate the effects of not having the update

- steering damper: really not very effective for anything but track. Does not help with deflection issues

The newer bike will be worth a lot more at re-sale time. It also has seals, gaskets, etc that are much newer, and potentially less corrosion. Add in the steering damper and improved carb A/P mechanism.

The factory makes tiny running changes to production, that they don't alway publicize, due to fears of liability for the earlier inferior design. The trans oiling, is better from late '05 on.

Newer is almost always a little better.

i would get the 05 and have 1000$ to do what you wish to make it your own

• Like 1

Even if that 05 has been sitting in grandmas garage for 6 years I'd go with the 09 just for the better resale value alone. The X hasn't change too much over the years but just enough to make the 09 a better buy, imho. The X hasnt really changed since 08 I believe, thats when they introduced the damper and the different offset forks....I think the carb changes were on the 07.

Go with the 05. The resale value might be higher on the 09, but if you're buying it just to re-sell it, just don't buy one at all and keep all your money. As long as both bikes are in excellent condition, the minor differences don't justify the higher price, IMHO.

With the extra money you save on the less expensive bike, you can put new tires and a ton of other fun accessories and mods on it, then just ride the hell out of it until it's time to get a newer one. Which, hopefully will be a long time from now.

Then start the fun process all over again.

Frenchy.....your post just felt real good. I've looked at 25 bikes and I'm thinking a super clean 05 is probably worth about $2800. What do you guys think?

2800$ for a super clean 05 X......i would sign off on that

If I were looking around here (AZ), a very clean, verifiably low miles 2005, would be $2800 - $3200, depending on how eager the seller is to sell. $3500 seems a little high, but it would depend on how badly you want it and how many others there are in your area to buy.

A very clean, low miles 2009 would be selling for $3500 - 3800? Haven't seen as many 2009's for sale. I've seen a few 2007's and 2008's.

Maybe someone who bought an '09 is asking for $4500 because he is still stinging from how much he spent on a new bike after only put a dozen rides on it. After it sits for a number of months at his $4500 asking price, he may come down. Or if he is stubborn, it will sit in his garage for another year until he posts it again for less than $4000. Buying a used dirt bike for more than $4000 seems a little much, to me. If 2009's are really worth $4500, I'd go for a little older bike.

I've been trying to learn to negotiate better. I'm not a natural at it. But, I'm learning that negotiating a low price is all about how much you want it vs how much the seller needs to sell it. Pricing research definitely helps if you can point out other deals to the seller. If you're in a hurry, the seller has the leverage. If there are multiple bikes for sale you have the leverage to walk away.

I am in this same position myself. My question is what is cost involved to perform the accelerator pump mods. Parts only, I would install them myself. Is it the linkage, diaphragm, push rod? Whats the difference?

I am in this same position myself. My question is what is cost involved to perform the accelerator pump mods. Parts only, I would install them myself. Is it the linkage, diaphragm, push rod? Whats the difference?

It's just one spring, the 'accelerator linkage detent spring', from Merge Racing or R&D Racing.

$16.00

But the '09 has better forks, triple clamps, a cornering damper, fixed 3rd gear issue, etc.

[/b]

It's just one spring, the 'accelerator linkage detent spring', from Merge Racing or R&D Racing.

$16.00

But the '09 has better forks, triple clamps, a cornering damper, fixed 3rd gear issue, etc.

My issue with the 09 vs. 05 is that the bike has had no significant redesign is 6 years. One has to be coming soon. As which time the 09 and the 05 will be dated and the value will sink like stone. I am hesitant to spend the money now because I know myself well enough to realize if a new X is released with FI etc. I will be among the first to plunk down a deposit.

Krannie, what is better about the forks? I always send my suspension out anyways. By getting resprung and revalved would just negate Honda's improvements?

My issue with the 09 vs. 05 is that the bike has had no significant redesign is 6 years. One has to be coming soon. As which time the 09 and the 05 will be dated and the value will sink like stone. I am hesitant to spend the money now because I know myself well enough to realize if a new X is released with FI etc. I will be among the first to plunk down a deposit.

Krannie, what is better about the forks? I always send my suspension out anyways. By getting resprung and revalved would just negate Honda's improvements?

No it won't. The improvements are structural, and I can't get a definitive answer as to what, specifically. 'Improved fork internals' is all I can find.

AS Racing says it's just manufacturing updates.

There is very little proof that a new FI X is on the immediate horizon.

I don't believe the used prices of the X will be effected at all. If anything, they might go up, with renewed interest in anything X.

Having said that however, who knew that Yamaha would re-vamp their WR so secretively? It's a big improvement, but still not a 'racer' in my opinion.

Go with the 09. You`ll know its in good shape , the 05 mite be to , but you really don`t know how much time is on it do you ? Newer is better , less problems that you can run in to.

i bougt an 09 from a member on here for 3400. but still had to put 1000 into it to replace parts and countless hours of cleaning from a horrible driver. If the 09 is clean. offer him much less and bring 100"s to show him. Its hard to say no to a fist full of Hundred dollar bills. LOL

i bougt an 09 from a member on here for 3400. but still had to put 1000 into it to replace parts and countless hours of cleaning from a horrible driver. If the 09 is clean. offer him much less and bring 100"s to show him. Its hard to say no to a fist full of Hundred dollar bills. LOL

Two year old thread........