Sign in to follow this  

Best handsfree two-way radio/cellphone sytem

I was wondering what is the best handsfree two-way radio nowadays, it would be nice if it has cell phone capabilities. I want a system that I can mount the speakers and the mic inside the helmet and a button to talk in the handlebar or something like that.

Thanks in advance and happy riding!

Good suggestion, I didn't think about that but I forgot to mention that I do off-roading and the places we ride there is no cell-phone service most of the time and if there is, is very unreliable.

One of my favorite things about riding a motorcycle is when I put on my helmet, my friends don't have to listen to me...AND...I don't have to listen to them. :busted:

<just funnin>

Looking forward to what comes of this thread :busted:

A lot of the cheaper FRS radios at walmart/etc have VOX capability. Headsets for those radios are pretty cheap.

There's the scala/blueant intercom systems that work well, but $$$. Class 1 bluetooth's good for short-range line-of-sight, probably work well on a track, and fully digital so the audio is real clear. About 100 yds is the range of class 1 bluetooth.

Next step is FRS/GMRS... FRS is good for about 1/2mi, radios are cheap and readily available. If a lot of people you ride with already have this setup, it's going to be your best bet. GMRS does require a license to legally operate on GMRS channels and at the full 5W power output offered by most of the radios.

HAM radio gets you a lot of options, downside is you'll need to be licensed. There's some restrictions and operating guidelines with it you'll need to follow, but to be able to use high power (1.5kW) and repeaters/internet/data/SSTV/digital/whatever else you can think of to squirt onto a radio carrier is worth it. More expensive than FRS/GMRS, less expensive than business/PMR. Of all the licenses I have my amateur ticket lets me do the most.

Above that is a business or private radio system... now you're looking at $$$$$. Licensing, equipment, accessories... everything with these radios is expensive. But if there's a reason you need it, then you'll need to spend the money to get it.