Sign in to follow this  

Race sag suggestions

I took the heavier springs off my bike, .50 fork and 5.8 rear, and put the stock springs back on which was suggested by factory connection and the pro action builder that revalved my bike. The front feels great and the back is better but still maybe too stiff and hear is another indication. I got race sag set to 96-100mm but free sag is 42mm. I cant believe the rear spring is too stiff for my 190lbs unloaded. Would going to 5.4 be enough or should i go more?

static should be 25-32 range..so you could go down a rate..but i have to say ,something does not seem right,190lb rider going to a 5.4 or 5.3,//but what is stock??or find out what rate spring it is,you might have it tested or make sure ,cuz somtimes what you have is not what you think it is..lol,and you can run a little more sag 100-105

I was told it's the stock spring which should be 5.5. Doesn't seem right but I read two posts of similar weight riders needing a 5.4 and another using a stock 5.2 from an R model. Idealy I would like to run closer to 110mm sag.

Plus I'm training for a solo V2R next year so I'm shooting for 186lbs.

110 MM sag is too much IMHO. It will understeer at speed.

Honda springs are not consistent in their rating. Figure +/- 10% or more, and they have a short life: a few hundred hours and they sag.

30/100 is perfect for me. It took a 6.3 to do it..........

But what's your weight?

260lbs

The key is balance.

If you can get sag measurements of 15/45% of max travel in the front (static/race) and 11/33% in the rear, you are doing great. I have 12/35 front and 12/34 rear. I like the front a little over-sprung and under-damped. I don't race anymore, I just find that with my weight, suspension set up is critical to having fun.

stock fork springs are 4.5.. stock rear spring is 5.5..race tech spring calculator says 190lb rider novice ,off road rider,should run a 4.8 in front and a 5.6 in the rear..you could get away with running a 5.5 in the rear..but if you want to balance the bike you should be running the 4.8 or 4.7 in the front..and rear sag 100mm-105mm..i had a 450r ,and i tried diff sag and 105mm seemed to work well.make shure the linkage is greased well and if it still seems stiff back all you clicker off some.

stock fork springs are 4.5.. Stock rear spring is 5.5..race tech spring calculator says 190lb rider novice ,off road rider,should run a 4.8 in front and a 5.6 in the rear..you could get away with running a 5.5 in the rear..but if you want to balance the bike you should be running the 4.8 or 4.7 in the front..and rear sag 100mm-105mm..i had a 450r ,and i tried diff sag and 105mm seemed to work well.make shure the linkage is greased well and if it still seems stiff back all you clicker off some.

.48/.47

stock fork springs are 4.5.. stock rear spring is 5.5..race tech spring calculator says 190lb rider novice ,off road rider,should run a 4.8 in front and a 5.6 in the rear..you could get away with running a 5.5 in the rear..but if you want to balance the bike you should be running the 4.8 or 4.7 in the front..and rear sag 100mm-105mm..i had a 450r ,and i tried diff sag and 105mm seemed to work well.make shure the linkage is greased well and if it still seems stiff back all you clicker off some.

Stock springs on an 05 are .47 and 5.5 and im not sure what calculator your looking at but when i put in all the info on race tech it shows .50 and 5.6 and Mxtech shows .46 and 5.5. Racetech always seems high even with my BRP.

I guess i just need to figure out if my stock 5.5 spring is done and replace with the same or drop to a 5.4.

I saw on ebay the red DSP springs for just $75. Cheap enough to pick up a couple and try them.

Stock springs on an 05 are .47 and 5.5 and im not sure what calculator your looking at but when i put in all the info on race tech it shows .50 and 5.6 and Mxtech shows .46 and 5.5. Racetech always seems high even with my BRP.

I guess i just need to figure out if my stock 5.5 spring is done and replace with the same or drop to a 5.4.

I saw on ebay the red DSP springs for just $75. Cheap enough to pick up a couple and try them.

....and I have a stock '05 X rear spring with about 30 hours on it if you are interested....

.and I have a stock '05 X rear spring with about 30 hours on it if you are interested....

Possibly. I dropped the shock off today to have it gone through to make sure the insides are good. How much $?

$50.00 shipped

Give me a couple days to get my shock back and see what was found. I'm also having the top shock bearing replaced which factory connection pointed out can affect measurements.

Got my shock back today and my local builder went through it and revalved it. He said for starters it had too much oil and was shimmed too stiff. He changed things up added the correct oil and $250 later i hope i have a better feeling shock. Between the revalve and the new top bearing i was able to get my sag measurements a lot closer. Ill give it a good thrashing this weekend and see:ride:

Got my shock back today and my local builder went through it and revalved it. He said for starters it had too much oil and was shimmed too stiff. He changed things up added the correct oil and $250 later i hope i have a better feeling shock. Between the revalve and the new top bearing i was able to get my sag measurements a lot closer. Ill give it a good thrashing this weekend and see:ride:

$250 for a re-shim and shock service??

Wow...............

WOW a lot? or WOW cheap?

Wow! a lot. Well, not crazy a lot, but more than I'm used to.

Typical shock service is $69.00.

Typical shim change is $89.00.

Do them both at the same time, and it can be as low as $129.00

....with the shock off the bike, of course.....

Hell, I did my WR450 front and rear, with new springs, ProAction custom Valves/Pistons, re-shim, new bushings, oil, and seals, for $ 889.00. That includes the Custom Bottom and Mid valve systems...........

IMG_0551.jpg

IMG_0630.jpg