Sign in to follow this  

06 kx 450 rebuild

hey guys new to the board but figure i would post my dilemma. i have a 06 kx 450. i got it tore down. got to repalce the crank. everything else is great shape. was thinking bout running some hotcams or possible hi-comp pistion. when i put it back together. also looking for a good performing exhaust. i am fabbing this engine in a 300ex btw. any help would be appreciated thanks

If you want the high comp piston and want to put lots of hours on it, and rev it hard, then I'd put the heavier 08 crank and rod assembly in there. Maybe you'd need the 08 balancer shaft too, and someone can comment on that.

Just clean up the stock ports. The inlets should already be highly polished in any 06 head. Some Japanese guy at Kawi got a bit obsessive on the first model KX450F.

I wouldn't bother changing the cams. Leave the stock 06 cams in there. The motor rips. Manny wrote in 2009 "The '06 KX450F is as fast as a 450 gets." See http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7605799&postcount=34

thanks for the info man I will check out the 08 crank swap. Have u had many. Problems with the engine or tranny.

No problems. 307 hrs. Original crank and bearings. Moderate workload. Wiseco 12:1 pistons. Gears shift fine and gets better with age. 4 speed with massive wide cogs so I doubt they'll be worn much. I use cheap diesel oil. Delo 400 or Shell. SS oil filter and magnetic drain plug.

My crank assembly and main bearings are obviously overdue, but no time. So just try keep the revs down.

You can use the 08 crank in the 06, you will have to use the 08 balance shaft drive gear. I like wiesco forged pistons. Wouldn't waste my time with hot cams, fog with a web if you want a real performance gain, be prepared to replace valves and springs more often.

OK I have heard about ppl putting stainless valves in. Would this help that much. Also has anyone stroked this engine b4 was also thinking about it while replacing it.