Sign in to follow this  

Spongy rear brake...

So on todays ride I pretty much lost my rear brake. I will get some braking but it fades off real quick until I pump it back up, but then it falls right off. So based on some of the stuff I've read here I'm guessing I need to replace some seal in the MC?

So if that's the case, how exactly do I get it apart? I can see from the bottom it looks like there is a snap ring clip holding it all together, if that's the case it should be easy enough to pull apart. The question is, how to get that rubber boot thingy (dust sheild) off?

I went through this rebuilding the MC on my KDX200. Just spray it down with some WD40 inside and out. Try to rotate it in the MC and it should pull out. You may have to use a small pick of some sort to.

Little Jeff

I don't recall any problems getting everything apart when I rebuilt the MC on my 05. There is a complete rebuild kit for the MC, reasonably affordable, around $50 if I remember correctly.

The rebuild kit is $37 which is not a ton I guess but if it's just a bad oring I'd rather just replace that. Theres the question though, and also how does that little rubber boot come off?

im having problems with my brembo rear brake heating up and locking up while downhilling what things should i be looking for?

The rebuild kit is $37 which is not a ton I guess but if it's just a bad oring I'd rather just replace that. Theres the question though, and also how does that little rubber boot come off?

my thing is why is it bad, or is that what is the problem. The kit is peace of mind. I had 0 issues with my 05 after rebuilding it.

im having problems with my brembo rear brake heating up and locking up while downhilling what things should i be looking for?

switch to the DOT 4 Motul RBF 600 and that issue will likely go away (it has one of the highest boiling points for brake fluid). If not, there are coolers for the caliper, or line at the caliper that will help.

great thanks i will try that

also, check your rear brake lever position. sometimes they are set high and you end up dragging the rear brake unknowingly. lower it if it seems high and make sure it has a little free play.

Could/Would someone just explain to me how I remove that rubber boot (sheild) at the bottom of the MC? It's very much in the way for extracting the MC inards...

Could/Would someone just explain to me how I remove that rubber boot (sheild) at the bottom of the MC? It's very much in the way for extracting the MC inards...

wish I could, but I can't remember. seems like I just popped it off.

Ha ha I'm so stupid that thing just popped right out the bottom I was fighting it and it finally just popped free so I'm good thanks guys. I also think that I can just replace that Bellows piece which is only $10. Buying the whole kit seems like a waste of money but maybe I'm just cheap