Sign in to follow this  

Ride Report. my new 520exc

ok,so i bought a 2000 model 520 exc the other day, and aside from riding up and down my street for a few seconds i havnt really had a chance to actually take it to some dirt.

so today i geared up and went to where i usually go so i could compare it to my beloved, but sadly stolen, 2008 crf450r.

this bike does have elctric start, but it isnt working now cause the battery is dead so kicking was the only option.

i should also ad that my rear tyre is kinda baldy, enough tread to keep u from crashing, but not enough to attempt some trails, where recent water made them hell. i was wishing i had a nice new tyre :bonk:

so how does it compare to my 2008 crf450r? not even close. the crf handled alotttttt better and i felt more confident sticking it anywhere, but i think that is because this is the 1st time i have riden this bike, i need to ride it more to become familiar with its characterstics etc

i do intend on riding this bike on the road round my town and just urban playing which should be fun once i get it registered and a road-ish tyre on it.

what do i think of it in the trails? we'll, i cant blame you guys who rant on about the weight of a 2 stroke, this thing is just not good in trails. dont get me wrong it handles well for its size, but it has so much power that you just dont need or will ever use, as many of you already know.

i did stall it on a bad hill, and i was sweating like an animal, i wished i had electric start there and then, but i had to turn the bike around, eventually, and role down the hill, but it was real hard to role back and turn the bike around, due to its weight, ( and the fact that it wouldnt go into nuetral :busted:)

it is a good bike for the right job. tight single track? hell no. riding on an open area like a farm with easy trails, perfect. riding on the road, it should be good.

imagine using this bike for the erzberg rodeo in europe :busted:

i have a feeling my next bike will be a 2 stroke, somewhere between a 200 and 300cc, for pure trail riding and mx, and a pure road bike like a cbr-rr for the road.

so far, my impressions of ktm, and this ktm in particular is that they r made just as well as any other (japanese) brands, but when i owned a honda i had a warm fuzzy feeling that it would NEVER let me down, i just dont get that feelin with this bike. but, thats probably because i havnt owned it since new as i did with the crf.

let me know what you think.

gc5625647410011155233.jpg

IMAG0316.jpg

IMAG0317.jpg

IMAG0318.jpg

Edited by adem188

I drank the koolaid with an 03 ktm 300 mxc, fantastic motor ,clutch and brakes but it wasnt the do it all bike I thought it would be. The suspension was the deciding factor,no matter how much adjusting you do the frame geometry just never worked for me. It couldn't compete with my 2000 yz250 off-road and it couldn't compete with the drz I replaced it with on or off-road.

If you do end up dual sporting it you won't mind the compromise as much.

A new tire might make all the difference, by the looks of the rear tire the p/o didn't trust the bikes turning capability.

I drank the koolaid with an 03 ktm 300 mxc, fantastic motor ,clutch and brakes but it wasnt the do it all bike I thought it would be. The suspension was the deciding factor,no matter how much adjusting you do the frame geometry just never worked for me. It couldn't compete with my 2000 yz250 off-road and it couldn't compete with the drz I replaced it with on or off-road.

If you do end up dual sporting it you won't mind the compromise as much.

A new tire might make all the difference, by the looks of the rear tire the p/o didn't trust the bikes turning capability.

sorry mate but i didnt understand any of that, except for the part in bold lol

hey chooken, i was desperate. summer just started in oz as u know and it is a good bike i do like it but i dont think it is my favourite but im young and i learn from experiences