Sign in to follow this  

2009 kx450f problems

I am coming from an 2008 crf250r and I was wondering what are some common problems with this year and model? How is the EFI?

How many hours do you have on your kx?

Bought mine in April 2009 & have 147 hours metered from day one.

Two top ends & an oil pump impeller shaft. Starts 1st or 2nd kick.

Race 50+ Expert Grand Prix / Moto & practice on tracks in So Cal only. No dez or trail rides.

Bought mine in April 2009 & have 147 hours metered from day one.

Two top ends & an oil pump impeller shaft. Starts 1st or 2nd kick.

Race 50+ Expert Grand Prix / Moto & practice on tracks in So Cal only. No dez or trail rides.

Did you have any valve problems or anything like that. I'm used to my crf250 where my valves wouldn't last very long.

BOLTS, BOLTS, BOLTS. The biggest issue I had with my '09 was the bolts trying to come loose. They fixed a lot of the issues in 2012 with shouldered bolts that attach the body work to the frame. You can use those bolts in the '09 as well. It makes a ton of difference. Stay on top of all the fasteners you can reach and the bike is pretty solid. The only soft spot is the chain slider/guide. Replace it with a complete TM desings kit and that will resolve most of the issues. I never had any valve issues with mine in the 65 hours that I owned it. The Engine is pretty solid, just stay on top of your maitenance. Lastly, when I get my bikes I get them in the crate so I can re grease the steering stem, axles, Swingarm pivot and rear suspension linkage bearings. There is very little grease from the factory (your honda was the same way) so if this has not been done, I would recommend it. Welcome to the best 450 engine to date, it's a monster.

One more thing. I would recommend you purchase a rear axle nut from any year CRF250/450 as you will grow tired of the cotter pin that Kawasaki likes to use. I also replaced my seat bolts with Honda seat bolts as it does away with the silly inserts that come out of the side panels all the time. Kawasaki did this for 2012 so you can use those as the Honda bolts were too long and I had to cut them

Did you have any valve problems or anything like that. I'm used to my crf250 where my valves wouldn't last very long.

No valve issues so far.