Sign in to follow this  

2009 XT250 questions?

Just picked up a 2009 yamaha XT250 dual sport, with only 300 miles, bike is basically brand new, and all looks to be great, cept one thing.. my gawd this bike needs a life time of choke to warm up, unreal :busted:

What mods are available to do on this bike to make it better?

is there a air box mod/exhuast mod/or upgraded jetting available? cause this bike is extremely lean, it needs bigger jetting ASAP.

thanks.

The bike are set lean from the factory to met EPA regulations. On your carb, there is a Pilot Screw. It may be covered by a brass plug (I own an XT225, so XT250 may be different). Turn this screw in until slightly snug. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN! Then turn the screw back out 3 full turns. This will help with the cold bloodedness.

You can also drill out the baffle inside the exhaust to open it up. This will make your bike run a little leaner, give you a little umph, but does not help with coldbloodedness.

As for jets, the carb on your bike is a Tekai and not a Mikuni. I have heard you can use the Mikuni jets. The ones to use are listed below. Just make sure you get that jet in whatever size you are wanting....:busted:

Make: Mikuni

Model: Large Round N100.604

The bike are set lean from the factory to met EPA regulations. On your carb, there is a Pilot Screw. It may be covered by a brass plug (I own an XT225, so XT250 may be different). Turn this screw in until slightly snug. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN! Then turn the screw back out 3 full turns. This will help with the cold bloodedness.

You can also drill out the baffle inside the exhaust to open it up. This will make your bike run a little leaner, give you a little umph, but does not help with coldbloodedness.

As for jets, the carb on your bike is a Tekai and not a Mikuni. I have heard you can use the Mikuni jets. The ones to use are listed below. Just make sure you get that jet in whatever size you are wanting....:busted:

Make: Mikuni

Model: Large Round N100.604

Thanks, i took that cover off, and the hidden pilot screw was only 1 1/2 turns out, so i took it out about 2 1/2 turns out, then i noticed the idle was way down, so i turned the idle up a bit, and now it starts up right away, i leave the choke on for about 10 seconds and shes ready to go and holds nice idle with no choke. :busted:

anything else you can tell me about this bike, like cheap mods?

so far i really like it, all the reviews seem to be somewhat bad (by people that do not own this bike) but i find it to be great.

let me know if there is anything else i can do or should know, and thanks for the tip, made a HUGE difference.

I got your PM, and replied back with my number per your request. But, the skinny on the bike is, it's a great bike. I think I just turned 2K on the bike, and i've only had it for like 4 or 5 months I think. There are not a ton of mods you can do that are direct swap, but if you're crafty, you can improvise and get it done.

Since you have a 2009, it's just like mine. You've already done the mixture screw, that helps a lot. From there, if you mess with the air box AND exhaust, you're more than likely going to need to swap the main jet for the next size up. Mikuni small rounds should match up, based on the research i've done. I haven't done the rejet yet, because I have not had a need. But, rest assure if you pull your main jet out and take it to the Local Yamaha dealership, they will 100% be able to match it up. You shouldn't need to swap the pilot jet with the mixture screw turned out.

what I have planned in the future is an FMF powercore 4 exhaust, infact, in the next month it will be getting that. I thought about the air filter mod, which on our bikes, it's simply unbolting the airbox cover and flipping it around to open it up. I won't do that, because I dont' want to mess with the jets just yet. I have drilled out the exhaust, and with out doing the air box mod, and being out 3 on the mixture screw, everything is A-OK. I expect the same result with the FMF, as in, no need to rejet the main as long as I don't complete the air box mod. I'm more so looking for sound and looks than power. It will get a little more pep, but not as much as I would if I were to do the air box mod and rejet.

there is a lot of things you can do to the exterior of the bike to make it look a lot better. You can scan through some of my posts on this board and on the dual sport main board, and see what all i've done. I cleaned up the tail light assembly with an LED, and also swapped the turn signals with LED's. You have to change the flasher, but that's like 11 bucks and a direct plug in replacement. I have model numbers for EVERYTHING on all my previous posts, just for this reason; so other riders with my bike have a good resource.

Universal supermoto fenders can be made to fit the front, but I haven't done that yet. Most any hand gaurds will fit, and there are 3 or 4 skid plate options availible with a simple good search. So, it's not that there are not mods for the bike, you just have to look for them.

here's another helpful hint. The bolts that hold on the oil filter cover don't need to be tightened very much at all, just snug. I stripped the bottom one (block) last oil change. About a 50 dollar fix at the dealer, but 50 bucks I shouldn't have to spend from being heavy handed. that will get done at my next oil change interval.

Also, run 20W50 Yamalube, granted it doesn't get any colder than about 20 degrees in your area. If it gets colder than that, you'll have to go lighter. it's good stuff.

I got your PM, and replied back with my number per your request. But, the skinny on the bike is, it's a great bike. I think I just turned 2K on the bike, and i've only had it for like 4 or 5 months I think. There are not a ton of mods you can do that are direct swap, but if you're crafty, you can improvise and get it done.

Since you have a 2009, it's just like mine. You've already done the mixture screw, that helps a lot. From there, if you mess with the air box AND exhaust, you're more than likely going to need to swap the main jet for the next size up. Mikuni small rounds should match up, based on the research i've done. I haven't done the rejet yet, because I have not had a need. But, rest assure if you pull your main jet out and take it to the Local Yamaha dealership, they will 100% be able to match it up. You shouldn't need to swap the pilot jet with the mixture screw turned out.

what I have planned in the future is an FMF powercore 4 exhaust, infact, in the next month it will be getting that. I thought about the air filter mod, which on our bikes, it's simply unbolting the airbox cover and flipping it around to open it up. I won't do that, because I dont' want to mess with the jets just yet. I have drilled out the exhaust, and with out doing the air box mod, and being out 3 on the mixture screw, everything is A-OK. I expect the same result with the FMF, as in, no need to rejet the main as long as I don't complete the air box mod. I'm more so looking for sound and looks than power. It will get a little more pep, but not as much as I would if I were to do the air box mod and rejet.

there is a lot of things you can do to the exterior of the bike to make it look a lot better. You can scan through some of my posts on this board and on the dual sport main board, and see what all i've done. I cleaned up the tail light assembly with an LED, and also swapped the turn signals with LED's. You have to change the flasher, but that's like 11 bucks and a direct plug in replacement. I have model numbers for EVERYTHING on all my previous posts, just for this reason; so other riders with my bike have a good resource.

Universal supermoto fenders can be made to fit the front, but I haven't done that yet. Most any hand gaurds will fit, and there are 3 or 4 skid plate options availible with a simple good search. So, it's not that there are not mods for the bike, you just have to look for them.

here's another helpful hint. The bolts that hold on the oil filter cover don't need to be tightened very much at all, just snug. I stripped the bottom one (block) last oil change. About a 50 dollar fix at the dealer, but 50 bucks I shouldn't have to spend from being heavy handed. that will get done at my next oil change interval.

Also, run 20W50 Yamalube, granted it doesn't get any colder than about 20 degrees in your area. If it gets colder than that, you'll have to go lighter. it's good stuff.

You need to check out this link and read it in detail. It will help you alot!!!!

http://www.xt225.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=86139#Post86139

Thanks a lot for all the info, your bike looks great, the back end cleaned up really nice, and those led's look great too. :busted:

Thanks for the tips, it seems to run great right now, and as i said, that fuel screw made a huge difference, it now only needs choke for like 10-20 seconds and its ready to go.

ill do the yamalube 20w-50, and thanks for the tip about the oil filter cover bolts. :busted:

Only thing i am currently maybe thinking about doing, is a skid plate, rear rack and maybe a exhaust, but im really liking it the way it is now, so those mods i might do in the future.

got any pics of your bike now, with all the mods youve done? id like to check it out.

also should i really have the valves adjusted at 600 miles? or just let it be, and myabe check them later on.

valves adjusted at 600 miles? or just let it be, and myabe check them later on.

You just said you like the bike the way it is . The only way to keep it that way is to do proper maintenance . Valves are incremental to engine performance . Almost everything else comes after proper valve adjustment .

You just said you like the bike the way it is . The only way to keep it that way is to do proper maintenance . Valves are incremental to engine performance . Almost everything else comes after proper valve adjustment .

I also agree with this. Just note, I believe the manual says at 500 or 600, then 1000, and there after, just every 1000. I've got a manual in PDF format I will send you, and i'll look that up just to make sure. I have not adjusted the valves on my bike, GUILTY!!! But, that is something that i'll probably get done next oil change, when the cover gets fixed. thanks for bringing that up. :busted: