Sign in to follow this  

kx 100

Short answer, no.

I'm not a huge believer in heat cycles for break in. One or two just to check for leaks and re-torque head and cylinder bolts, sure. But the heat cylcles are doing anything to seat the rings, which IMO is what break-in is or should be all about.

Personally, I don't recommend re-torquing the head. If you do, DEFINATELY not on a warm or hot motor. Once the heads is initially tq'd, it stays that way. After initial break in, it's set in and ready to go, as long as you did it right the first time.

As for when to ride it, it's personal preference. Many have their own beliefs and even pro mechanics each have their own opinions. (But what makes a pro???)

Personally, I do a few warm ups in the shop, do a few easy laps around the yard for 5 min or so. then it's all out after that. Some will disagree with my ways and say I'm stupid. But, Hmmmm, let's see. The 125 finally went through its rings a few months ago with over 120+ hours on the motor and no catastrophic failures, just rings. The 250 is well past that mark and still pushing 205 psi of compression. And it's like this for any bike I do and only had one go and it wasn't due to my ways.

Now, they will get full, complete, rebuilds. i don't skimp on the little things like cranks, bearings, seals, etc.

2 warmups kid usually rolls the jumps 1st lap and then it's ON!!!

i rode it all day to day took it easy for a hour or so. then i rode it harder won a race aginst a honda recon 250 atv

being on a 100...it's not a drag bike.:busted:

But with a little work here & there and some good parts, you can run side-by-side with a 250F. Oh, and the rider has to be able to keep up too.

As time goes on and you want more from it, look into a 103 stroker setup. I stress this setup because it's easy to do, very economical for anyone and no serious mods done other than the head.

In this "thriving" economy...(yea right:moon:)...I deal with many people who want more for less, and, truthfully, when it's time for a full rebuild, $10.00 more for a crank and $45 for the headwork, and a few bucks for some jets, the upgrade can't be beat.

i had to winterize it to day because a teacher from school called home and told my dad that im not caught up in that class. wen a have a ****ing in that class im so pissed

i had to winterize it to day because a teacher from school called home and told my dad that im not caught up in that class. wen a have a ****ing in that class im so pissed

Yep. I'd do the same thing...Oh wait, I did. The boy got a C.