Sign in to follow this  

Spousal Unit

Hey all, I am new to the forum; what a terrific resource. I am looking for 2 bikes, one for my wife and 1 for myself. I think I have mine figured out but am a bit lost on my wife's. She has never ridden, but is very athletic @ age 51. 5'5". She will need/want a smaller bike w/ lots of low end I think. I want to go used in case she hates it... So far I have considered the YZ85 (too small?), klx140, tt125L. Am I on the right track for open field and trail/woods riding?? 2-stroke still ok for a beginner?? Thanks!!

Either of the two four strokes you mentioned are perfect. Make sure the TTR has electric start if you go that route. It is worth a million bucks for wife convenience.

My 45 yr old girlfriend started on an e-start CRF230F. They are plentiful on craigslist, inexpensive, and durable. It has a pretty low seat height and lots of low end power and full size wheels and suspension. It also has a short wheel base which makes it easy to move around. She actually appreciated getting a used one, because she didn't feel guilty about dropping it and scratching it. I put a nice decal kit on it. Also, reduced weight with an aftermarket exhaust system, alum handlebars, alum rear sprocket, and Turntech battery. She cracked the plastic skid plate, so I put an alum one on. She dropped it so many times, she wore of the word ACERBIS from the hand guards!!!:busted:

2011AprilCRF230FRtSide.jpg

2011AprilCRF230FLeftRear.jpg

Edited by Sofiedog

Second the CRF230. Low seat height, good amount of low end torque, and electric start.

That's pretty funny, and I suppose I will count myself lucky if she wears out only the handguards. Question: Would the 230 be a little strong for a complete beginner? I was thinking a crf150 if they had e-start. The last thing I want is for her to feel overworked...

E-start is an absolute must for her! Unless you want to have to kick it for her all the time!!!:busted:

The engine is not too much. Very flat power band. Some gear it up to reduce torque, but with the low gearing, a beginner can putt around at walking speed without stalling.

The bike is a little heavy and difficult to pick up. I usually helped her pick it up. She would dump it and it would be laying on it's side with gas pouring out. Open the throttle and hit the button for a few seconds and it starts right up.

She has female friends with bikes. I tried to talk her out of getting a dirt bike because most women who start riding eventually quit. She was persistant and now rides about twice a month.