Sign in to follow this  

crazy backfires (video)

Hey guys,

anyone know what is up with my bike??

its a 2008, new pistion (high comp), new inlet valves.

she rides better than ever, starts easily to.. but has crazy backfires?

maybe running lean?

Deceleration back fires, check for an exhaust leak. My guess would be at the header.

I wouldnt ride it until you figure it out, if it is an exhuast leak, the cold air getting sucked in has been know to crack valves.

This happened to my sons 05. Out on the track it sounded like a popcorn popper. I suspected stuck hot start at first, but then thought maybe a dirty carb issue. I removed the carb (was time for cables anyway) and cleaned it thoroughly. I changed both throttle cables and found the hot start cable had some rust in it too. Put it all back together and ran sweet. After about 5 hours on the hour meter it is doing it again. I am going to clean the carb again and have the valves adjusted this time. May be some moisture getting in the tank as here in New Hampshire we get warm days and frosty nights.

Deceleration back fires, check for an exhaust leak. My guess would be at the header.

I wouldnt ride it until you figure it out, if it is an exhuast leak, the cold air getting sucked in has been know to crack valves.

This happened to my sons 05. Out on the track it sounded like a popcorn popper. I suspected stuck hot start at first, but then thought maybe a dirty carb issue. I removed the carb (was time for cables anyway) and cleaned it thoroughly. I changed both throttle cables and found the hot start cable had some rust in it too. Put it all back together and ran sweet. After about 5 hours on the hour meter it is doing it again. I am going to clean the carb again and have the valves adjusted this time. May be some moisture getting in the tank as here in New Hampshire we get warm days and frosty nights.

I read rusted hot start and thought - na no way bike has harldy been used and i just rebuilt engine about 2 months ago and greased everything.

I checked the hot start lever and it moved smoothed, but then i noticed the cable was actually not moving and just bending.. lol

Took the bike about 50% apart so I could get to the carb (:busted:) and removed the hot start cable and saw a ton of rusrt on it!

I also checked valves and timing while it was apart and everything was spot on. I'l still need to get it back together and fire it up and se, but hopefully this fixed it.

Thanks man!