Sign in to follow this  

Looking at a KLR with Ninja 500 engine

So as the title says I'm looking at a 90's KLR that has a 500 Ninja engine in it. Is this a conversion that is often done? Is there anything that I should look for when/if I go look at this bike? It also has inverted forks. Thanks for your time.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. They guy has been trying to sell it for awhile now it started at like 1500. So maybe it's poorly built and that's why no one wants it. It seems like a neat idea I was just curious if anyone else had experience with this kind of engine swap.

I almost made one of those... had a N500 but no doner frame... what I wanted was a KTM frame, but my connection fell through. I rode the 500 for a while & ended up selling it to some one that needed it more than me. What I really want is a 650 twin. Anyway, they made a KLE500 available in Europe. from 1991 to 2007. I thought about replacing the cams, etc to make it more like the production bike which was set up as more of a D/S than a canyon flogger. The N500 has plenty of go once you get the throttle up a bit... not bad on the low end, but could prolly use a smaller countershaft cog if you want to go off road. I think it would make a good adventure touring bike with the right setup.