Sign in to follow this  

08 CRF250X In need of upgrades

Hello all my 08 250X needs some more power and I need help with what to do on this bike. I have spend a few hours searching the forms trying to find what I am looking for but am still a bit confused. Minus a Dual Sport America kit, Trail Tech Voyager, ASV levers, and deleting the stock odometer she is bone stock.

I ride mostly trails in Socal (Ocotillo Wells) or Arizona ranging from 0 to 3000ft above sea level. I am active Military living in socal but I have current AZ OVH tags (I'm not required to get a CA sticker).

I am thinking air filter, pipe, smog delete, rejet and regear? What do you guys think? I understand the concept of how the jets work and lean vs rich but other than that I am soo lost in the mix. I emailed FMF asking there advise, I am leaning towards a Q4 S/A pipe. Let me know what advise you guys have on this. Thanks!

i agree ccc mods and an R cam ,i have an 05 R cam it's so much more fun to ride

R cam, uncork and jet properly. A high compression piston will help, as will a big bore, but by then buying a 450 is cheaper.

All those sound like great ideas but I really didn't want to mess with the internals too much. I did install a FMF Q4 pipe and that really woke it up even with stock jetting.

Smog delete won't improve performance and may get you locked out of some riding areas. I'm not sure of the CA rules, but know that in certain areas the bikes have to have the smog pump. By taking if off, you only lose a pound or two off the bike.

Have you opened the airbox up? On our 06s, I just cut off the snorkel so it could get more air. Use a knife heated in a flame and it will cut through without bits of plastic everywhere. Again, all I did was remove the top...I left the sides (they stick up like fins now) to hopefully help keep splashing water out. With it open, your filter will get dirtier, but you're getting more air into the motor and might have to go to bigger jets as a result.

No sure where you want more power?

Smog delete won't improve performance and may get you locked out of some riding areas. I'm not sure of the CA rules, but know that in certain areas the bikes have to have the smog pump. By taking if off, you only lose a pound or two off the bike.

Have you opened the airbox up? On our 06s, I just cut off the snorkel so it could get more air. Use a knife heated in a flame and it will cut through without bits of plastic everywhere. Again, all I did was remove the top...I left the sides (they stick up like fins now) to hopefully help keep splashing water out. With it open, your filter will get dirtier, but you're getting more air into the motor and might have to go to bigger jets as a result.

No sure where you want more power?

Good call on the smog stuff. I was thinking the same thing and decided to just leave it on for now. I am going to try to regear it and see, the pipe I added really really helped. I would do the airbox mod but I ride in TONS of silt and sand plus cleaning the air filter is my least favorite thing to do on this bike I think I am going to leave it for now.

shouldn't post this but you can shove a marble in the ais hose to defeat it, will still pass visual inpection. The smog system doesn't hurt power but it does make the head pipe run hotter and can light off some off throttle popping.

the bike is fine with stk jets and airbox with the Q pipe.

50 fits but it's kind of at the end of the adjusters, 51 might be better. Really depends on how your using the bike? but 2 teeth is usually a pretty noticeable change.

50 fits but it's kind of at the end of the adjusters, 51 might be better. Really depends on how your using the bike? but 2 teeth is usually a pretty noticeable change.

Ok. I am doing general purpose desert riding so some hills, sand washes, hard pack gravel roads, everything... I'll call the parts shop in the morning and see if they have a 51. I just want to be able to cruse in 5th gear at a good speed and the bike not be reved out.

Don't swap on my input alone, you may want to go taller? just saying what you can do easily with the stock chain

I switch from (woods) 13/51 to 14/49 when I go to the desert in wa and oregon, using the same chain (114L)

Don't swap on my input alone, you may want to go taller? just saying what you can do easily with the stock chain

I switch from (woods) 13/51 to 14/49 when I go to the desert in wa and oregon, using the same chain (114L)

I understand, how many links is the stock chain?