Sign in to follow this  

bike is confusing me! plz help

I have an 06 yz250f that I just got used. It's in good shap, the valves were done 2 months ago an the oil changed and everything. It was sitting in the guys garage for a while because he broke his leg an cudnt ride it. So I took off the carb an cleaned it up. I adjusted the AC pump so it is squirting correctly. And I put it back together and it won't start. I put new fuel in it and a new spark plug an still no fire. It is getting spark for sure... So I figured I put the fuel screw in wrong and I went and bought an adjustable one. Now i can get it to start but upon starting it will rev very high and wont idel i have to give ot gas to keep it running. And I've tried adjusting the idle and fuel screw more. I cant figure out where to put it so it starts and idles normally. Also its very hard to start. It takes a few kicks and some gas when all the other bike I've had will start with no throttle and one to 2 kicks. What could be the problem?

Did you take a count of the fuel screw before you removed it? If not, then start out at 2 turns out from closed and go from there. Or search on William1 for fuel screw setup proceedure. On the throttle idle adjustment, I usually look thru the carb and adjust it so I can just see a little light thru the bottom of the slide as a starting point, then adjust when its running. Tighten up both clamps. Check for fuel flow from the petcock by opening the fuel drain on the bowl, put a catch bowl under the drain, and turn on the petcock. You should get a flow. If not, then your float needle is clogged or stuck. It usually takes about 3-4 twists of the throttle with choke and no throttle on the first start of the day. After that, hot start and no throttle.

Thanks for pointing a fee things out! Yes I did count an it was at 2 turns out and that's what I thought it was set at before I got an adjustable. It is getting fuel. I will put it at 2 turns even tho I'm pretty sure I tried it... I'll let ya kno what happens, thank you for helping

yup - sounds like the plate on your slide inside the carb got put on upside down - it actually "looks" as if it's right when in fact it's upside down.

Part #10 - make SURE it's in the way the pic shows in this link: (they are calling it a needle valve here but they are SO wrong lol.)

http://www.yamahapartshouse.com/#/Yamaha/YZ250F_-_YZ250FV_-_2006/CARBURETOR/YZ250FV_%282006_MOTORCYCLE%29/CARBURETOR_%28YZ250FV_-_2006%29

Update- I took out the carb an jets an found tht my pilot jet was still partially clogged. I cleaned it an had to go to bed cuz it was late so I didn't put it in an try it ill check the slide when I get home and start it up and let u guys know if its normal! Thanks everyone.

Sometimes it's just easier to replace the pilot, they are only a few bucks.

I have found a little CLR in a glass beaker in the ultra sonic cleaner does a good job on jets though.