Sign in to follow this  

Trans noise '06 crf450r

Several months ago, my '06 crf450r trans was making some noise. It was hard to pin point exactly where it was coming from... I stopped hearing it, it sounded close enough, to convince myself that it was an odd sounding chain slap.

Some time after that, I developed a leak in my right side case cover gasket, so I went for a while, constantly adding trans fluid... how low did the trans fluid get? Can't be positive, but not too low... Filled it frequently, and it never took very much at a time. Eventually, got the leak fixed... (have anything to do with the current problem? maybe, maybe not)

After running fine for a couple of months, maybe a little longer... Today, it started making the same noise again, except much louder. Seems to be coming from the counter sprocket area... Don't hear anything in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd gear, but in 4th, it scares the crap out of me, sounding like something is going to come flying through the case.

Not sure if I want to pull it apart, or bring it to someone, but...

What do you think I'll find when it comes apart?

How does the tranny fluid look? Is the noise a popping or grinding sound? Does it pop out of gear or do anything else strange other than the noise?

How does the tranny fluid look? Is the noise a popping or grinding sound? Does it pop out of gear or do anything else strange other than the noise?

Tranny fluid looks good...

The noise is more like a clicking noise. Definetly not a grind. It changed quite a bit when I took off the chain, so the motor had no load at all. With the load of the back tire, it was a lot louder, without the the load it changed to a sharp click. Almost like I lost a bearing, giving a shaft a lot of travel, and its 'clicking' back into place.

Nope, it does not pop out of gear... The only strange thing it does is make the noise.

Just out of curiosity: Are your chain sliders in good shape - front and rear? Also, is the chain possibly too loose causing it to flap around on the sprockets?

Just out of curiosity: Are your chain sliders in good shape - front and rear? Also, is the chain possibly too loose causing it to flap around on the sprockets?

Not sure if the sliders are in good shape... but the chain isn't too loose.

But... I had the chain completely off the bike the last time I ran it to get chain noise out of the picture.