Sign in to follow this  

trying to find the right bike.

hi I am 17 5 foot 6 inches and looking for a bike that will last. But i dont have that much experience on the more powerful bikes. I know i wouldn't be able to handle a 250 at the moment but may after some experience on something smaller first to get the techniquie. Been on my local mx track once loved it but bike was way too small (PY80.......) to appreciate it. Riden my mates RM85L ( not on mx track. local field ) a few times and it felt right but that was before he sold it two years ago.

reccomendd by a dealer to get either....

kx 100 /honda crf 150r or rb. But also to consider the try and tested RM85L.

This bike will be riding at various mx tracks (not racing) and i want to learn the ropes and try and keep up with my mate who is thinking of getting a ktm 125.

Any suggestions of wich bike to get or any alternatives i should consider would be great thanks

Mike,.

If you have the funds a KTM 200XC with a lowering kit, so you're feet rest flat till you grow or get more comfortable with the bike. PLUS it's a great enduro bike, so you could try out a few different types of riding/racing. Very tunable for power delivery.

Dont waste your time on small bikes,at your age and height you will be ok on a 250f.If not get it lowered,a 250f wont tear your arms off if you have any sort of throttle control.

hi thanks for the advice how much quicker would the 250 f be than the RM85L for example ? intrested about the ktm 105 but i dont think it is available to the uk market.

250f =125 2t. it would be quite a bit faster than a 85 . A 125 smoker is a cheaper, easier to maintain option. you might need to lower it a bit though

id say 250 I'm 17 and just got a new 250. great bike but i have been riding since i was around 10. they aren't the easiest to learn on but are great bikes and I'm sure you could handle one after some time learning the basics. just be easy on the gas they are race bikes and will pick up the front tire easily in any gear.

go a 250 4 stroke or a 125 2 stroke

the 125 will teach you how to ride best bike ever made

teach's you everything front throttle to clutch controll to weight distrubution

to keeping momentem up in the corners

also teach;s you how to steer with the rear of the bike as well with the front

remember you only use as much power as you make the bike use

honestly i wish i started off on a 125 2 stroke rather then a 250 4 stroke

4 strokes teach you bad habits and lazyness as you use less effort to keep them in the power and lines

no offence intended 4 stroke guys

and this is not a 2t vs 4t

just shareing what i believe is a good bike to start and learn on as i love 2ts and 4 t's

my opionion is start off on a 2 stroke learn everything you can then choose what you rather after that a 2t or a 4t

the skills you will learn from the 125 will benefite you forever and only improve your confidance and technique

trust me i went from a yzf250 to a yz490 2 stroke lol

then bought a yzf426 then bought a yz125

i still have all these bikes except the 250f

the amount i learn off the yz125 has been incredible i can ride my 426 and 490 twice as hard from learning the proper technique from the 125

just take my advise into consideration

im not a 2t vs 4t guy

they both have there +'s and -'s

thanks which are the best 125's out at the moment for a beginer ?

just wandering is there much difference between an 85 and a 125 ?

I agree with the KTM 200XC suggestion if you plan on riding any offroad, if not, stick with the 125.

There is quite a large power difference between a 85 and a 125 MX bike. The 125 will weigh more and be taller. An 85 would be an appropriate bike for someone around 5'+ or so...its a kids bike. A 125 is a full sized bike, just like a 250 is a full sized bike. Many beginners think that a 450 is taller than a 250 and a 250 is taller than a 125...this is not true. For example, a YZ 250 and a YZ 125 have a seat height of about 39"...which is too tall for someone your height. If you are set on a 125, you will likely need to lower the bike, unless you are all leg. Some 125s sit lower than 39"...you may want to do some research.

as long as u can get 1 foot on the ground u will be fine just lean bike against tree to kick her

95% of the time your feet will be on the pegs anyways

that 5% will be 1 foot out in a really sharp turn witch in most case's you should keep ya foot on teh pegs anyways or just streched out in front

the 250's actualy sit lower then the 125's most of them anyways

i found the yz125 to be the bike for me in terms of reliability and teh way the power comes in

the yz you got to scream the guts out of its mostly high end power

the cr's are pretty mid range and have a bit more bottom end i believe

kx never rode one b4 but heard they have really good engines but bad suspansion set up not 110% thou

i saggest you try get a ride on each and make your mind up then

i like the snap of the cr . but now ive put the fmf rev pipe on my yz 125 i like it even more then the cr ... with the rev pipe it is gutless as hell untill im at least hiting 3rd gear band . 1st and 2nd dont hold long enough for my rev pipe to snap into it hard

but 3rd gear and up it only pulls even harder from there i love 3rd gear

the 125 will be a learning curve for you spec if u got a set up like mine with the rev pipe

always be 1 gear below what u think you need when backing off you will hear as you reapply the throttle the sound of slight crackleing = on the edge of the power band entry its teh sweet spot to reapply the throttle and knowing your in teh correct gear to open up around that corner

you will out grow an 80 to fast

and there band is actualy more lethal then a 125 they snap in harder

get a 125 mate

i trail ride mine with no problems and no flywheel weights

just get your jeting set up and run 32 to 1 or 35 to 1 ppl say to run 40 to 1 for trails but ive never had a problem running 32 to 1 no fouled plugs or spooge

just make sure you hit band every now and then to clear it out

i can ride for over 20 mins not hiting band and being a gear high and with no only slight issue

just be aware after not hiting band for that long she will bog a lil but just open her right up for about 3 secounds into band and will be fine again

thou when i ride trails i ride them like a motocross track only off teh pipe on blind corners of iffy hills i cant see over

its the only way i keep up with my mates fuel injected quad and a yzf450

but up to you mate the 200exc is also a great bike IMHO take them all for a ride 1st and see what you like also remember u need room to grow so your skills will increase

also saggest you not geting a 2stroke 250....... spec an older one as there band is really snappy in teh early models before 2000

they are very very quick and you need to learn the tecniques from teh 125 before proceeding to a 2 t 250 or you will be in for alot of hospital visits

i find my yz490 is easyer to ride then a 2t 250 as i respect the power more with teh 490 lol i get on a 250 and hold it pinned and wonder why i get hurt