Sign in to follow this  

going from a 250 to 125 maybe

right now i have a 2001 kx 250 and its more bike than i need but will a 2005 kx 125 be enough? im 5'10 210 to 215...im a trail rider and im 35.

What about the 250 did you not like, in what situations? They are quite different bikes, you are going to be missing a lot of torque on a 125...they are top end high revving machines, not everyone loves them for trails, but it can definitely be done.

the 125 will haul you around, but it wont be as good in torquey situations...if you know what i mean.

right now i have a 2001 kx 250 and its more bike than i need but will a 2005 kx 125 be enough? im 5'10 210 to 215...im a trail rider and im 35.
No. get used to the bike you've got

put a fww, throttle cam and a woods pipe like FMF gnarly. It will mellow it out a little. the 125 is a great bike with lots of power. but its no woods bike.

i guess the front end seems to always up and the extra power unnerves me. and its seem heavy to me. but i really like it other than those few things.

put a fww, throttle cam and a woods pipe like FMF gnarly. It will mellow it out a little. the 125 is a great bike with lots of power. but its no woods bike.

what is a throttle cam?

the 250 will seem like a lot of power for a while, but just keep riding it and you will get used to it and learn how to use the power... i think you will be dissapointed on a 125. and a 125 really is NOT a good woods bike. i would stick with the kx250

It's funny to see you guy's that think woods riding is all about torque, unless your in an area where your climbing the side of mountains the 125 will be fine with some gear changes. Hare-scrambles and woods riding is about flow and handling plus the added advantage of the 125 is it's about 20lbs lighter than most 250's so you should be much fresher after a 2hr race. :busted:

This is the ticket! The FWW and the throttle cam will be the biggest help. You don't really need to go with the gnarly, but when you ding up your stocker, that would be a good replacement choice. Look at the G2 cam system. If you run the most extreme cam (i think they call it the 400), it will really help. If it still is too powerful, get eric gorr (or another shop) to modify your head (the bike's head) for a little lower compression. It's a real cheap mod. The KX 250 is a great bike, and with a little suspension work you can turn it into an awesome woods mount that gives up nothing to the newer euro bikes.

As far as a 125, I love mine, but I have both a 250 and a 125. The 125 requires considerably more skill in the woods.

It's funny to see you guy's that think woods riding is all about torque, unless your in an area where your climbing the side of mountains the 125 will be fine with some gear changes. Hare-scrambles and woods riding is about flow and handling plus the added advantage of the 125 is it's about 20lbs lighter than most 250's so you should be much fresher after a 2hr race. :busted:

Actually where i ride torque is a total god send...hilly single track

do you ride mostly single track or moto?

if you ride single track put a heavier fly wheel on your 250.

An auto clutch is expensive but would help also.

the ktm150xc & 200 might work better on the trail than the kx125

Get what you like riding, everyone has different preferences. I had no problem getting where i wanted to go with my 125. If you need power grab that left hand lever and let her rip.

you'd have to live in the desert to think that you don't need torque for trails. A 125 is not much power for someone weighing in at 200, my brother just hit that weight and my 125 doesn't roll the best with him. I'd just go with a 250f if you dropped bike size. Also, the thing about the f's is that they don't have powerbands (obviously), but also the powerband can get annoying in sticky situations. Don't get me wrong, i love my kx but it does get a little trippy in situations where your stuck on hills and stuff

Having ridden both a KX125 and KX250 in the woods, absolutely stick with the 250 unless you're really looking to challenge your clutch hand. Don't get me wrong, the 125 is incredibly fun to scream around in the woods on - until you get tired and then it just becomes a chore. Chuck a flywheel weight on there for sure if you ride in a lot of slick stuff.

i rode a yz 125 last night and i was disappointed to say the least....after i got back on my 250 i was happy i had the extra power. i barely made a hill on the 125 the i easily climb on my kx 250...

I'm 180 pounds and it can be hard to get my 125 hooking up on slick hillclimbs especially those with no runup. If I get stopped on one it's go back down and try again. The fun thing about it is that hills that are easy on my 450 are a challenge on the 125 which keeps things fresh for me.

The point is, 125s are not the easiest bike to ride but on certain tracks and trails they are a hoot.