Sign in to follow this  

I Think i Need a New Head? Can you confirm this?

Hey guys, I have a 2008 CRF250R right no it has about 100 hours on it, I put a new piston in at about 80 hours a new camshaft and valve lifters in at about 90-95 hours. Other than that i have only done valve adjustments. Now the last couple times i adjusted the valves they come outta spec within atleast 5 hours.Now ive had a couple people tell me that i prolly need new valve seats but it cost just as much to get new valve seats machined in as it does to buy a new head. So i was planning on getting a new head. But if i get a new head will i be able to use the valves that are currently in my bike? The new head cost alittle over $300 and new valves are pretty close to that also but i dont have enough money to get both because i am a broke 17 year old kid. So if I buy a new head will that slove my problem or do i need to do something else. Any help you guys can give me is GREATLY APRECIATED i havent rode since june and i am really just trying to ride again.:busted:

Strip the head and have a machine shop cut the valve seats. I wanna say its around 80 dollars or less. Either way you decide to go the valves need to be replaced. Most likely only your intake valves are the ones tightening up cause the valve face is cupping and wearing up into the seat of the head. I would recommend having all the seats cut a a kibblewhite valve kit. You will need to purchase the valves before hand in order to bring to the machine shop with the head. Not only is the seats part of your problem its also the valves cupping... therefore you do not wanna use your old valves in a new head, or in your current head with freshly cut seats.

Strip the head and have a machine shop cut the valve seats. I wanna say its around 80 dollars or less. Either way you decide to go the valves need to be replaced. Most likely only your intake valves are the ones tightening up cause the valve face is cupping and wearing up into the seat of the head. I would recommend having all the seats cut a a kibblewhite valve kit. You will need to purchase the valves before hand in order to bring to the machine shop with the head. Not only is the seats part of your problem its also the valves cupping... therefore you do not wanna use your old valves in a new head, or in your current head with freshly cut seats.

Where would i go to have the valve seats cut?

Try calling your local bike shops . If they dont provide the service, maybe they can recommend someone. If no luck start calling local machine shops for cars, they may be able to help.

If charlie cant help you try crfheads.com. He has several options that arent too expensive depending on what you want.

Might be a local guy that I can point in the right direction. If not, like you said Keith. crfheads.com

Might be a local guy that I can point in the right direction. If not, like you said Keith. crfheads.com

:busted: I just cant say enough good things about crfheads.

I am about 45 minutes east of cleveland, Right around Mentor,Ohio.

I know a bunch of places. I live just outside of Elyria. I'll PM you.