Sign in to follow this  

KXF 250 09 no spark and metal flecks....Help

hi everyone,

Just recently became the very proud owner of a 2009 KXF250 and was able to get out on her today for the first time at a practise track at Coxford Down (near Andover in the UK). The first session was just us both getting to know each other....Well it was more her getting used to how slow i go. On the second session i went out and within 200m she came to a grinding halt, it felt like i had run out of fuel so i thought i must have turned the fuel off and just forgotten to turn it back on, unfortunately for me this was not the case.

After 10 mins of trying to kick her into life i had to push her back to the van so start surgery. I had fuel coming out of the tap so all good she must be getting fuel so next on the hit list was the plug. Whipped her out and she looked all nice so thought test her to see if i get a spark and ...... no spark. Bugger!!!

So went and checked every connector sprayed them with cleaner and reconnected them and tried again.....still bugger!!! Disconnected the kill switch and still nothing.Tried another spark plug and still no spark so thought im going to have to get a bit more personal with her. Removed the left hand cover to see if maybe something was amiss with the generator and stator. Was all still fitted but then i saw the little strainer that sits in there and whipped it out. Much to my disgust there was bronze flecks and some metal sat on it ( hopefully the pictures will upload so you can all see...please not too much laughing we both have feelings). Dont know how to upload photos so will look into it tomorrow because as they say a picture speaks a thousand words.

Could not see anything really amiss here (except the flecks) so refitted and tried again......Bugger!!!!

So packed the bike away and thought it must be the coil so decided when get home we would try my wifes RMZ250 coil. Got home and tried it and still no spark so tried my coil and plug on her bike and there was a spark....Bugger...bugger..

So now thinking its is either wiring or a very naughty cdi and was just wondering if any of you had any other things i could try as we were hoping to be racing on the 6th. Just the cdi is quite expensive and would first like to elimiate everything else first.

Was also wondering what you thought about the flecks on that strainer, i was thinking if they were from the engine surely they would be trapped in the filter ( i have not checked that yet will do on the next visit ti the garage) and not left on the left hand side of the engine. It does look like some marks in the stator but its all tight so does not appear to have moved so im not sure if maybe this happened with the previous owner and they just did not clean out the strainer. Just cant think of what the copper/bronze colour flecks could be from?

Any help on both matters would be greatfully received

Cheers

Marc

i would think it's your stator, a new one isn't too expensive, around $100, this is what makes the spark, as for the bronzish metal your finding, im going to assume thats from the stator? Sorry for the lack of information, thought i'd try.

Your stator is bad. Those bronze pieces your seeing are from the stator. Make sure your flywheel doesnt have any type of play in it. If the flywheel has some play than that is why your stator went bad. Ive seen them just blow apart so the bad crank bearing might not be your case. Check everything, make sure everything is good. Run oil through your bike a few times without it running to make sure there arent any bronze pieces left in your case. Throw it back together with a new stator and you should be fine.

cheers everyone for your answers, unfortunately here in blighty stators are over £300 (which is about $500). Is there a way i can confirm its dead with a multimeter was going to use my wifes RMZ250 07 manual for rough figures. Is there a way to test the CDI, its just its quite a bit of money for it not to fix the problem.

With conrod is there a way of telling other than stripping the entire engine. The engine still spins over.

If it is the stator or cdi does anyone know if other models use the same stator/cdi?

pic7.jpg

pic5.jpg

pic4.jpg

pic3.jpg

The black stuff in the strainer is quick gasket so im not overly concerned about that, and the previous owner had said the the engine had had a complete rebuild a couple of hours prior to sale. Im now wondering if the bike had a meltdown and the residual mess left by whatever caused the bike to require rebuilding has fudged up the stator...??