Sign in to follow this  

Hand guard recommendation

I think it's time for some new hard guards... ones that actually work well and heavy duty. Can anyone recommend a model/brand that's been tried and true on an XR650L?

I am running a set of Moose handguards on mine. They saved my levers today several times. The trail we were on runs through a creek and I ended up jamming the bar ends into rocks on several occasions. No problems.

2011-10-30140829.jpg

I run cycra on my xr650r. They have saved me many times. Seem really strong.

I run cycra on my xr650r. They have saved me many times. Seem really strong.
I have Cycra guards on my XR650L and am impressed with how well they work.

There are probably quite a few good choices. Cycra is one of them.

I am running a set of Moose handguards on mine. They saved my levers today several times. The trail we were on runs through a creek and I ended up jamming the bar ends into rocks on several occasions. No problems.

2011-10-30140829.jpg

:busted: I run these too. They are hard to beat on the 650L. :busted:

Moose hand guards with 5 gallon bucket-busters. Moose ones are made in USA.

IMAG0456.jpg

IMAG0460.jpg

IMG_9573.JPG

I have Cycra guards on my XR650L and am impressed with how well they work... There are probably quite a few good choices. Cycra is one of them.

I have a set of Cycra ProBends that I pulled off of my CR250R. How difficult was it for those of you who have them to get them to properly mate up with the handlebars?? It looks like once I have them attached to the u-clamps, the outer portion will be about 3 inches off from where it needs to screw into the bar ends. What do y'all recommend - heat them a little and bend them down?? I'm pretty hesitant to try bending aluminum for fear of it snapping in two. BTW - I plan on mounting them to a set of 7/8" Renthal CR High-Bends.

Edited by Southern_Partisan
specify size of handlebars

How difficult was it for those of you who have them to get them to properly mate up with the handlebars??
Mine were already on the bike when I bought it, so I don't know what it took to install them. But when I had to take them off to install new grips, it was quite difficult to get them back in place. Once in place, they work very well, so I'll leave them there.

I've tried a lot of hand guards over the years, and must say the Highway Dirtbike (HDB) guards are my all time favorite. They are function and fashion... Besides their strength and good looks, they are part of an upgradeable system; ie, stabilizer mount, dash boards, led turn signals... Google Highwaybirtbikes..... My second favorite is the Cycra.