Sign in to follow this  

Little help with piston rings?

Doing my BB and the kit doesn't have much clarification on the rings. There are 5 rings in the set: 2 tiny ones, the crinkled oil ring, and two large ones. One of the those large ones has a slightly smaller gap than the other. I read the manual and the instructions but I'm still not sure which rings go where?

gray thicker ring goes in the top groove. darker thick ring second groove. thin rings and expander go in third groove. all markings face up.

Thanks Eddie, thats the direction I was thinking. On the thin rings with the expander, are the thing rings above the expander?

One thin ring , top and bottom with the expander in the center . Are you going to split the base gasket and bump your compression ? Now is the time to decide , greg

-Grey thicker ring goes in the top groove.

-Darker thick ring second groove.

-Thin rings and expander go in third groove, 1 thin ring on top, 1 on bottom of the expander, ensure the ends of the expander ring MEET.. Not overlap..

- All ring ends off set, but so long as they are not aligned, don’t get worked up and making them some perfect xx deg apart.

- All markings face up.

I'm sure you've already figured this out but first you install the brass expander and then the two thin rings go over it, one on top and one on bottom like eveybody else said.

Perfect guys, thats what I thought I just couldn't tell from the instructions, just got my radiator hoses and I'm ready to start my assembly tomorrow. I split base gasket to bump up my complression. I have the copper spray for the gasket, should I spray both sides of the head gasket too? or just the base gasket? First 4 stroke top end and I want to make sure I don't ruin my big bore before I start.

Thanks for the tips Bronco, and thanks for the write up!

Welcome

I added the ring install snipit to the write up based on your questions. :busted:

So long as people READ and understand the instructions are GENERAL and different ring manufactures making different types of rings will have different markings, “look” to the rings. It will be ok.

Thanks

Welcome

I added the ring install snipit to the write up based on your questions. :busted:

So long as people READ and understand the instructions are GENERAL and different ring manufactures making different types of rings will have different markings, “look” to the rings. It will be ok.

Thanks

^^^^ cool ! :busted: