Sign in to follow this  

HID Headlight

I'm new to the forums here and have found it very useful already. I picked up a 2009 DRZ-400SM a month or so ago and it's a blast to ride. The PO outfitted it with a host of goodies, but left the headlight stock. My other ride ('06 Busa LE) has an HID and I'm afraid it's raised my standards for what a headlight should be. Has anyone had successful results with an H4 HID kit like the one from DDMTuning or another supplier? Here's a quick shot of my ride, I'll get some better pics up soon.

8ca7c638.jpg

The lens isn't designed for it, normally you'd get crazy light scatter and dazzle other motorists.

Try a higher powered bulb with a more neutral (white) colour temperature. The stock one is very yellow from memory.

Also put in a couple of small relays and wire direct from the battery (via the relay & a fuse) to the bulb with higher rated wired. This will up the voltage actually reaching the bulb and noticeably increase the light output.

HID is a bad idea unless you get another lens designed with HID in mind. Putting an HID bulb in the stock housing will just scatter the light and blind oncoming drivers.

Another HID on the road = Another annoying headlight

Not when done correctly, ie with a lens.. Not just a Ebay bulb and ballast stuffed into an H4 lens / housing.

HID is the best, most advanced thing to come to motor vehicles and increase night driving safety.. And it is one of the most irritating add on's being sold to the masses in "kit" form.

Perhaps there is a write up somewhere that can explain the process of creating a useful HID setup that benefits our dizzers AND resolves the common problems of having this type of lighting?

I don't know much about them but it sounds like with a proper setup it would benefit alot of people... I do alot of night riding but the stock headlight is damn near terrifying.

I searched on google and found a helpful write up on supermotojunkies ... i dont have the exact link for it but google drz400 hid kit and you should find it. guy used a 65 dollar kit from ebay with great results.

Not when done correctly, ie with a lens.. Not just a Ebay bulb and ballast stuffed into an H4 lens / housing.

My CBR is ebay stuffed. But each bulb is different and mine ar H7. The HID arc is much closer, apparently, to the stock tungsten, than an H4. I do not have bad scatter and dont blind people on low beam.

HID is the best, most advanced thing to come to motor vehicles and increase night driving safety.. And it is one of the most irritating add on's being sold to the masses in "kit" form.

Nah, L.E.D. is newer and better (solid state) but the prices are still way out of line compared to HID cost to performance ratio.

Nah, L.E.D. is newer and better (solid state) but the prices are still way out of line compared to HID cost to performance ratio.

Very true, they are neat for sure,, and pricy.. .. what manufacture is using them in a street vehicle?

I run an HID in my Busa with great results. No light scattering, no blinded drivers. It's a plug and play kit that was picked up from Ebay.

I'm not interested in re-inventing the wheel here, just trying to get some better lighting without breaking the bank. For my purposes (90% in town riding), I'm not too concerned with the scattering issue.

My CBR is ebay stuffed. But each bulb is different and mine ar H7. The HID arc is much closer, apparently, to the stock tungsten, than an H4. I do not have bad scatter and dont blind people on low beam.

There are a few different builds, color temps, and the OEM lens the aftermarket bulb is stuffed into makes a huge difference.. And none I have seen in use are near as good as an OEM designed HID lighting system... Bike swaps using a complete lens and HID from a OEM manufactured system are the best swaps Ive seen. None of the Ebay retrofit kits are as good.

Justin... if you found one of the better ones, post a link, or seller, brand name :busted: Someone was bound to come out with a useable swap solution besides grafting an Audi, Lexus, ect light in.

Very true, they are neat for sure,, and pricy.. .. what manufacture is using them in a street vehicle?

I think Infinity or AUDI were the first, but there are several now. The LED light bars for offroad are the new "status symbol". Just like the Rhino of yester-year... :busted:

Justin... if you found one of the better ones, post a link, or seller, brand name :busted: Someone was bound to come out with a useable swap solution besides grafting an Audi, Lexus, ect light in.

Nah mine are almost 7 years old "McCulloch" cheap ebays units in the stock housings. I thought about the hassle of putting nice glass projector HID housings in for about 10 seconds and then just bought the chepo's... :bonk:

i was looking at this page when i was gonna do this to my r6 before i sold it. http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=927

to do it right you want to get the projector lens

the ones on this site are off infiniti's. they have a solenoid inside the projector that opens a piece blocking some of the light to give you high beams. then they have a bunch of shrouds to cover the metal parts of the projector so it doesnt look so bad.

but if you ask me they dont really fit the style of the drz. but would be the most ideal if you are looking for the best light output. maybe that trailtech x2 headlight, and then replace the bottom light with the projector would be good.

also if you are curious here is how it works:

they have 35watt or 55 watt options. 35 watt is going to have the same light output as a 55 watt halogen. and the 55 watt would be like an 80watt halogen.

then the color output is those thousand k numbers.

4300k is roughly the yellow like a normal halogen

5000k is white

6000k is a white with slight blue

then the high your go it gets more blue, then into the purple range, and actually decreases the visible light output.

so the common misconception people have is they get the 55watt option because thats what their halogen is, but then its like they have high beams on all the time. these are the people you find blinding everyone down the road.

if you dont want to do that, but want better visibility, get the 35watt option. then if you want white light get the 5000k. also the stock headlight will scater the light a bit, but with the 35watt its not bad. plus going with the 35 watts saves you some juice to put towards other electronics.

I almost pulled the trigger on a pair of the new Denali's 6 emitter led aux lights.... Really awesome..... But way too pricey. They will come down.... But just now are they getting a hand on the technology to refract the light... That is the hump with LED's... Once they get over this....It will be smooth sailing..... Until then.... HID is still king... imho....:busted::thumbsup:

Erling

In the UK, as of Jan 2012, all cars that have aftermarket HID bulb kits stuffed in the standard halogen head light will fail the annual test. I'm expecting there to be a flood of used ebay kits going back on ebay throughout the year lol.

Unfortunately this new test regulation is not being exercised on bikes yet, but we have a loads of new problems in the pipeline that could make new bike ownership a real pain - new EU regs (many thanks to European BS).

I have the DDM Tuning 35W hi/lo kit at 4500K installed on mine. I quite like it. There is a fair amount of scatter but to help compensate I aimed it down a bit.

Since I commute on mine I am typically not driving extensively at night so not too big a deal. The little bit in traffic isn't so bad. The fact you can actually see, and the fact that you can actually be seen, far outweigh any other issues.

I did the same (35W at 4500K) to my GS and it has noticeably more scatter. I can read road signs quite easily now though. Never mind you get actual light out of it, with a bulb life more than a few minutes (H7's suck). I also added 10W LED's for driving lights, again restraint, as the 25W are "holy god" bright.

The temptation is to go 55W which IMHO is way too much. That is the "annoying" level, versus just having brighter. Although with 55W, I think you could set small rodents on fire at 100 yards, which in some cases may be cool.....

LED headlights are old news already, BMW is developing laser headlights. Don't believe me, you can read about it here....

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/post/2011/09/bmw-tests-laser-headlights----1000-times-brighter/1

I put the DDM Tuning Hi/Low 4500k kit in my bike and like others have said before aimed the headlight down a tad to help with scatter. I've had it about 2 years now and have never been flashed or pulled over for it.