Sign in to follow this  

Paddle vs. Knobbie

Going to the dunes for the first time on my RM250 soon... Wondering what to run! Obviously nearly everyone runs paddles, but I have heard from several very experienced riders (old dudes:lol:) that a very low pressure knobbie in the back is easier to ride with, as far as turning goes. Looking for opinions and personal experiences, preferably on 250 2t.

Oh, and my gearing is 13/48

i'd say your knobby will be fine. Run low pressure front and rear. Maybe 8 lbs rear and 5 front. As long as your in sand you'll be fine.

Paddles are cheap and make a gigantic difference. I would never go to the dunes without a paddle.

I highly suggest you buy one

i tried sand on a worn knobbie..it was a bit of work but with my paddle i get around like no problem! plus roostertails are cool haha

I ride dunes a lot at Pismo. I used to ride a CR250 so I have some 2T experience you were asking for. You need a paddle. You get so much extra wheel spin in the sand that your knobby will not hook up. The biggest difference for me was in jumping the dunes. The knobby will lose speed up hill and roll over the lip you are jumping where the paddle should hook up all the way up the face of the jump. Low tire pressure with either is the key. Have fun, riding the sand is a great time. Make sure your air filter is clean as the sand is hard on carbs.

Knobbies are fine if the sand is moist or wet, but if it is dry, the paddle rules.

Running a knobby in dry sand will be hard as heck on both your clutch and your cooling system. Just got back from Little Sahara -- i had a paddle on my 250 2T but btought my 450 as a backup (on a lot of later model Yamahas, evidently the rear wheels are interchangeable so i could switch the rear wheel between bikes ) -- even still , i asked the knobby tire guys how theirs were doing and they were reporting a lot of boil overs

I can't give a first hand comparison although i was going to try --- as i balled it up in a long sand whoop section 1 minute into my ride and my day was over (trips over the bars at 50 mph will do that to chunky 40 year old guys - ouch)

Have fun -- although i didn't get to try the big 4 stroke out there, i still think the 2 stroke is the absolute best choice for that kind of riding -- you don't really need smooth, tractable power -- you just need a big "on-off" switch

You can get by with a knobbie in the dunes, but the paddle tire is excellent for the big hill climbs. Last month I raced out at Superstition on my old KTM 500 and ran a knobbie because the race went through dunes and rock sections and whooped out fire roads. The knobbie was fine on the huge sand dune hill climbs with that bike, but I've ran the paddle tire out at Glamis and really had some fun with it. I still prefer the knobbie for turning out on the sand, but for climbing it is really killer to be able to actually wheelie in 5th gear going up a 300 ft dune climb. That isn't gonna happen with a knobbie.

I liked a knobby on my 450 as a paddle wanted to make the bike go straight anytime the throttle was on. But on any of my 250 2 strokes it was all about the paddle. I guess if the dunes are small and there aren't any really big steep hills then a knobby would be ok. But I wouldn't take a 250 2 stroke to the dunes without a paddle. Also run super low pressure up front to help keep the tire on top of the sand.