Sign in to follow this  

CRF 150 The R OR F version

Im looking for input on a new bike for my 14 Yr old son. I have been honing in on the CRF 150 but am not sure weather to go with the R or the F version. His 1st and only bike was a KLX 110 that he rode for about 2 1/2 years. We have not ridden in about 1 ½ years now. He is average height & weight and the 150 fits him well. We will ride some trail, open desert, and MX track. I would like him on something he can grow into, but don’t want something that is to over powering for him and put him on his back. His skills are not that honed as a rider but dose have the basics down. He has no experience clutching and shifting as the 110 is 3 or 4 speed automatic “cant remember”. He’s not a crazy risk taking kid, actually pretty cautious. BUT im not sure all his wires are connected in his head yet, hate to admit it but he lacks much common sense and that really concerns me. I’m looking at 06 to 08 range used for between 1800.00 – 2500.00 hoping to be about 2K and would like to keep Honda “I have 2 a CRF 250X & CRF 450R) but open to suggestions.

Is the 150 a good choice for him?

What version R or F?

Other input?

The r wont put him on his back if hes careful, the f he will grow out of very fast.

Those two bikes are intended for opposite ends of the spectrum.

The CR-F150F is, basically, meant to be a bigger XR-100R or CR-F100F.

It is a play bike, trail bike, back yard bike, and a mild-mannered off-road bike that's quiet, harmless, easy to ride (as long as you know how to ride a bike with a manual transmission and clutch), and not aimed at high-performance.

It's aimed at recreational fun riding, not racing and going for the gusto.

The CR-F150R is the opposite.

It is the modern day, 4-stroke equivalent to the 2-stroke CR-80R or CR-85R.

It's aimed at motocross racing.

Harder-hitting and much quicker and higher-revving power.

Not nearly as quiet.

Longer suspension with more damping adjustment clickers and a firmer ride meant to take a motocross track at speed.

It's liquid-cooled with no fan to aid in keeping cooling air moving through the radiators while at a standstill, so if the engine is running, you should be moving forward most of the time.

The two bikes having similar model designations (they're both named CR-F) is the confusing part.

This is a marketing tactic to help sell bikes, and Yamaha does the same with their dual-purpose WR-250R and motard WR-250X sounding very much like their YZ-based WR-250F off-road bike, and I'm still talking to people who don't realize the bikes share nothing.

Back in the day, you had the CRs and the XRs, and most knew the differences.

Personally, I think it's dumb to get a bike that's too much for a rider for fear of having him out grow it too quickly.

It's a machine that can be sold and replaced with another one.

How about during his time on it?

As was said, the 150F is a beginner bike and the 150R is a race bike.

Read reviews of the 150F and 150R on the forums.

Get an XR200R. The 1991 and newer bikes have shortened suspensions. If you search long enough, you're find a like new one for a good price. Green sticker too. I have an older 1987 XR200R. The suspension and drum brakes kind of suck, but not many low budget bikes have good suspensions.

http://www.bikefinds.com/honda-xr200-for-sale

If you're leaning towards the CRF150R, I'd look at the Kawasaki KX100. Harder to find and Red sticker if it's 2003 or newer. The price range is $1000 to $2300 here.

http://www.bikefinds.com/kawasaki-kx100-for-sale

Search, search, search... you'll find the bike that was bought and ridden very little.