Sign in to follow this  

1998 dr350

looking @ a 98 dr350. Owner tells me it is very hard to start in the cold. Is this a common problem. Or should I stay away from the bike. I know it is an electric start so it's not like I have to kick. but still I dont want to buy a problem.He told me it runs fine in the warm weather. Any thoughts.

If everything else is good and you can talk him down to a good price, it might be a good deal. The starting problem can work in your favor. Tell the seller you'll have to take into the shop, which takes time, costs more money yada, yada :busted:

The carb probably needs some minor maintenance, which is not uncommon. There are plenty of knowledgeable and helpful riders on this forum that can help.

had a dr350 that was also hard to start cold but ran great warm. i cleaned and rejetted the carb a little but didnt help much idle it up a tad bit will help alot though. loved the bike great low end power

Had both a 94 and a 99 last year, both electric start and both started the second I touched the button. The 94 had even sat for two years before I got it, still it would light right up. I find it strange just how many DRs are tough to start. I really think it has more to do with the ignition system then the carb in many cases. It may be as simple as many people think those plug caps last forever and they do not.

By the way my jetting was off pretty bad on both bikes, they were very lean.

Who knows.

try and get a yoshi exhaust system for it. i no it wont help the starting but i always had people complimenting me on how good mine sounded

I just checked my plug running very lean. Do you think I need to go up a jet size.

I have a 98 and love it. Changed the suspension for my size, added a clarke tank, skid plate, and hope to put on a FMF can this weekend.:busted: