looking to put a mechanical speedometer on xr 400

hi i have a 2001 xr 400 i just got and its all set up and is regestered as a dual sport but i need a speedometer i dont like the idea of the electric ones i would like to replace my odometer with a speedometer/odometer im wondering if anyone has done this. i was looking at my friends xr 650L and the speedometer looks like it might work but im not really sure. if anyone has any ideas please let me know thanks!

I agree with Michigan, what's wrong w/ electric? I've had 2 Trailtech's and they both worked flawlessly. Plus they offer a wealth of additional information: run hours, engine temp, ambient temp, tripometer, odometer, avg speed, max speed, current speed, rpm, even gps.

I have Trail Tech units on both bikes and never had a problem with either one. The endurance or vector models are cheap and super easy to hook up. Just curious as to why you don't want to go that route?

Just because I not want to have to worry about breaking it off or tearing the wiring idk just not want I would really trust ... But it is good to hear that they work for you thanks for the imput !

• 6 months later...

I put the Baja designs analog mechanical speedo on my 98 xr400. holding up well. great customer service. back lit so you can see it at night. Plugs right into the odometer cable.

easy.

I am looking at the same thing for my 91 DR250M. I have headlight/tail-light/odometer...I noticed the Baja Designs is universal and is lighted, I just don't know where/how to plug it in to get it to light...I have never done anything to my current bike but want to now make it street legal so that I can ride to my riding areas instead of trailering it. Any advice?

Thanks

I put a mechanical speedo on my KLX. I used an xl600 one. worked well and cable bolted right up. Later broke the speedo and put on another cheapie fom ebay ($10.00). I think it came off a kawi this time.

You can cross species if that helps your quest. Just look for a bike that had a 21 Inch wheel.

I made a bracket and installed a speedo from an old Yamaha XT225 on my bike. (looks just like the ATK unit, as likely is) The cable from the odomoter plugged right into it. Only problem, is it only lasted a month or so and died... and I just went back to the odo. The electric trailtech would probably be easier to mount and more durable.

If you go mechanical, make sure you use a speedo off a bike with a 21" front tire so it will be accurate.

Good Luck!

Edited by n2omike