Sign in to follow this  

Xt 250 with Yz engine

I bought an 81 XT250 and its fun but sluggish and slow.Im making it into a motard and already put street tires and new lights and seat and new bars and grips 17 inch wheel on the front its just slow as crap and barely will pull the front tire off the ground.I have a pair of YZ250 motors I got for cheap and my question is does anyone know which would be less work;putting the YZ in my XT or getting a YZ frame and wiring up lights and all that street legal jazz? Anyones opininon is appreciated.My reason for wanting to do this is because the XT puts out 22HP and the YZ puts out 50HP......

I would think doing the motor swap would be easier, I think. The XT already has the wiring and stuff for turn signals, brakes, etc.......

The YZ motors won't have lighting coils so they can't power the lights. You'd need to add an after-market lighting kit, assuming you can find one for the YZ motor you want to use.

The YZ motors won't have lighting coils so they can't power the lights. You'd need to add an after-market lighting kit, assuming you can find one for the YZ motor you want to use.

The XT will have a battery in place, he'll just have to rig up a charging kit.

Awesome see these are the things I dont know I have never dealt with a dirtbike engine in my life I have always had motorcycles.So my Xt's coil doesnt produce the right spark for lights? I thought all it did was beef up the spark to my plug? Im certainly not implying you are wrong I just really am that new to all this.However I did consider the stater thing the Yz motor I assume,since its a dirtbike has no reason to have the "charger" aparatus.So it seems first off I would need to design an "alternator" type assembly of some sort I suppose that if there is a company that makes something like that for this aplication it is probably too expensive for my budget anyway....