Sign in to follow this  

Trials Tire - Michelin X-11 vs Pirelli MT43

I ride hard rocky single track on a X-11 rear. West side of the Sierra stuff, not too much desert sharp rocks. Been runing the X-11 for 3 years on 2 different bikes. Love the tire.

I bought a MT43 as my next tire, after receiving it, the tire is much stiffer than the X-11. I'm reluctant to mount it thinking it will be a decrese in performance over the X-11.

Has anyone ran both? Is there a big difference?

Thanks...

There will be a performance decrease however after rim pinching too many trials tires and getting unfixable puncture flats with trials tire/Tubliss combos, I was 'forced' to go to the MT43. The tradeoff is worth it to me, and the MT43 at 6-7 psi still gets remarkable good traction plus it is DOT approved.

Thanks Chas,

I'm running 10psi with the UHD tube. No flats... ever. 8psi with the X-11 is too squishy for me on the fire road sections. Guess I will give the MT43 a try.

What hapended to the Wilson Canyon Poker run this year? Man, that was a great ride last year.

Try it, and run less pressure than you would with the x-11.

I love my MT43.

What happened to the Wilson Canyon Poker run this year? Man, that was a great ride last year.

I agree, that was a super ride. I'm not sure why it wasn't run this year. The fact that Mark Cook of RPS recently sold his Beta dealership to Capitol Yamaha may have had something to do with it.

Try it, and run less pressure than you would with the x-11.

I love my MT43.

Yeah, if your running 10 psi in your Michelin your not getting all it has to offer anyway.

Yeah, if your running 10 psi in your Michelin your not getting all it has to offer anyway.

I like 10psi or just a little less for everyday trail riding. We have fire road sections that you hit 45mph along with jumps and rocky single track. 10psi does it all and still out performs guys with knobbys on the rocky climbs and mud too as the flex of the X-11 cleans the mud out. I have even hit the pavement with no visible damage to the tire. Great for my needs and I still get a large flat foot print.

Then again, I rarely check the preshure and when I do it's alwasy lower than I started with, guess from hiting rocks

The X-11 is a RADIAL Ply Trials Competition tire. The MT43 was developed for non-Trials riders that wanted some of the advantage of the X-11. It's a compromise tire. The big difference is that it is a Bias-Ply tire versus a Radial Ply one. A big difference in how the sidewall flexes. lower pressures give better sidewall action in the radial tire and is what we in Trials Competition need. Maybe you don't so the MT43 might work out well. But there is no way I would put one on a Trials Bike.

I've run both and prefer the MT-43 because it is more versitle. The MT-43 because it has a stiffer sidewall, can be ridden more like a knobby than the X-11.

For example, you can still brake-slide into corners with the MT-43 and it wont feel like it is "rolling". It handles even desert and high speed terrain well. If you run it with 6-7 lbs. it still gets great hookup in the nasty terrain.

The X-11 is a superior trials tire. It gets unbelievable hookup and IMO is the best trials tire available if you are riding technical terrain. I just did not find it versitile enough and did not like it at speed. I ride a lot of terrain with 2nd-3rd gear cornering. I like to hit the corners hot and the X-11 does not react well to that type of riding.

I have also run my trials tire with Tubliss and without. I see some advantages to the Tubliss, but mine always seemed to loose a bit to much air between rides and I really have only had 1 flat in the last 7 years of hard riding with a UHD tube.

With a UHD tube, you should be running the MT-43 at 6-8 lbs in the slow, technical terrain and 8-10 lbs in the high speed areas.

I run the X11 on my Ktm, rocks and roots, use 7psi for races and it's just fine, no pinch flats or rim damage (in fact, I flat spotted my front rim last race smoking a particularly large root). I tried the TuBliss, but went back to a heavy tube as a sidewall puncture ruins your day without a tube. It's a great tire, lasts really well if you're not spinning it up like a knobby, and gets me places I shouldn't go sometimes... Run the same tire on the trials bike at 3.5psi.

MD

I run both, and reflect the opinion that the MT is a compromise tire. I put one on for dual sport purposes so that I don't burn out the X-11. Generally I'd rank the X better in 1-3rd gear and the MT better in 4-6. Since you bought the tire, mount it up for a ride and see how it does. My guess is that you'll find that the tires are much more similar than dissimilar. I have settled on the MT as the rear on my bike because I'm lazy and don't want to change it back and forth. But I might go back to the X for the winter.

http://www.dirtrider.com/features/141_0705_trials_tire_comparison/viewall.html

I've run both and prefer the MT-43 because it is more versitle. The MT-43 because it has a stiffer sidewall, can be ridden more like a knobby than the X-11.

For example, you can still brake-slide into corners with the MT-43 and it wont feel like it is "rolling". It handles even desert and high speed terrain well. If you run it with 6-7 lbs. it still gets great hookup in the nasty terrain.

The X-11 is a superior trials tire. It gets unbelievable hookup and IMO is the best trials tire available if you are riding technical terrain. I just did not find it versitile enough and did not like it at speed. I ride a lot of terrain with 2nd-3rd gear cornering. I like to hit the corners hot and the X-11 does not react well to that type of riding.

I have also run my trials tire with Tubliss and without. I see some advantages to the Tubliss, but mine always seemed to loose a bit to much air between rides and I really have only had 1 flat in the last 7 years of hard riding with a UHD tube.

With a UHD tube, you should be running the MT-43 at 6-8 lbs in the slow, technical terrain and 8-10 lbs in the high speed areas.

I just put a MT43 on my ktm 200, hoping its the best all round tire for singletrack & still handle higher speeds. Looks like it might create a stink bug stance by raising the back end up, also the tire is heavier, how will it behave in the whoops

The MT 43 is heavier and does have a stiff carcass so there are some changes to the feel of things on your bike.

It does not raise the rear end up too high IMO, and the extra weight shouldn't be noticeable.

It does make it feel like your suspension just got softer.

The big change comes in the way its performance. You will notice a difference in how you corner. Rather than brake slide and spin out. You will have constant traction and modulate the rear with your throttle. On hills, you will be getting traction in places you regularly wouldn't with a knobby, so you need to be aware and not get caught off guard when the front end comes up on you. You will be very pleased it you encounter ruts and are able to maintain a line.

As far as whoops, I really cant think of a huge difference, but I hate whoops all together anyway and pretty much just try to survive and get through them.

I think any negatives are outweighed by the positives, but a trials tire is not for everyone.

There are some on this site who used the MT43 in the Desert 100, and I ran one at the Monkeybutt.

Good luck, would be great to hear a ride report.

The MT43 was not developed as a comprimise tire but it is a hold over from when everyone ran Bias ply tires in Trials. It is a more stable tire but not quite as grippy at slow speeds.

I was wondering if anyone else here had tried the KENDA K270 trials / dual sport tire. Much more aggressive knob design. I ran one several times years ago and had no complaints and was running 12 psi. I wonder how this tire would do at say 8psi . I have spoken to Kenda about making this tire available in the sticky compound. I dare say I would be tempted to try it.

• Like 1

I have tried the MT43, X11, and a second hand D803.

I stuck with the MT43 as I dual sport, and it is a lot cheaper.

the X11 has a lot better grip on the rocks and gnar, but high speed it suffers. 1-2 gear it is king.

the dunlop split on the sidewalls real bad where it meets the tread. otherwise worked well

MT43 is great all around. smooth, run at 6psi is the sweet spot, and can still handle high speed rocks. not quite the sticky factor though

I might try the new X light but eh, the pirellis are cheap and do the job

True, the MT43 is not as grippy as the X-11 or 803 (I ran both).

The stiff sidewall does allow for high speed terrain and it still gets very good grip in the traditional "trials tire terrain".

I too am interested in the Kenda. Have not heard any reports on it yet.

Maxxis came out with their "EN" series tire lately as a woods type tire, but reports that is did not wear well, made me think twice.

I always felt the old MT16 as one of the best all around tires available and run with a Tubliss would make a great weapon.

• Like 1

I run the MT16 most of the time. Great all around tire. Just vary air pressure to the weather and terrain. 12psi down to 9psi.

I've been running the X-11 on the rear of my 300 XCW for some 150 hours or so. At about 120 the first one finally gave it up, but I would have gone through three knobbies I that time.

I run on the street for fairly short distances, and sometimes fire roads for connectors.

I've been running 4.5 psi with a Tubliss. Fantastic traction! I had a bad valve once a d ran it totally flat, no issues. I had a flat when it finally wore out, no issues. With the Tubliss it won't come off. I check the Tubliss pressure every few rides, but it has never been an issue if properly installed.

I am running a MT43 on the front. I was told by everyone I'd hate a front trial tyre, but since using a rear trials I was pushing the front all the time- so thought I'd give it a go. I knew the Pirelli was stiffer, so thought it may be better for the front and my use.

It has worked quite well (6psi), although it doesn't seem to have the traction of the rear. I've also noticed recently loss of traction, so it doesn't seem to be wearing as well either.

The X-11 is sort of spooky on the road, although I'm used to is now and know it won't really do anything strange, just feel weird. If I put 15-18 psi in it there is a very noticeable improvement on the road, but I'd never run that high in the dirt.

I think I'll get a mich for the front now also and see how I like it. They are darn expensive, but last so long the total cost is cheaper than many options.

I've never run a MT43 on the rear, the Mich works so darn well I don't really want to change. If I had lots of money I'd buy one and put it on my spare wheel, so I could swap it out on a ride and see how they compare, same day.

Oh yeah, I don't really notice the font tyre moving around like the rear does on the road. I don't notice the rear moving around out on the trails at all- but maybe I'm just a crummy enough rider I don't notice that stuff.

I also changed my style from the old sit-down, sliding corners I leaned in the 60-70s to standing 95% of the time. So I don't slide the rear intentionally ever, tracking rather than sliding. Maybe that's why I like the trials tyres so much, they work fantastic if you done break traction (down, up hills or around corners) but decrease in traction very noticably as soon as you break them loose. (Well, I think so anyway).

I've been running the X-11 on the rear of my 300 XCW for some 150 hours or so. At about 120 the first one finally gave it up, but I would have gone through three knobbies I that time.

I run on the street for fairly short distances, and sometimes fire roads for connectors.

I've been running 4.5 psi with a Tubliss. Fantastic traction! I had a bad valve once a d ran it totally flat, no issues. I had a flat when it finally wore out, no issues. With the Tubliss it won't come off. I check the Tubliss pressure every few rides, but it has never been an issue if properly installed.

I am running a MT43 on the front. I was told by everyone I'd hate a front trial tyre, but since using a rear trials I was pushing the front all the time- so thought I'd give it a go. I knew the Pirelli was stiffer, so thought it may be better for the front and my use.

It has worked quite well (6psi), although it doesn't seem to have the traction of the rear. I've also noticed recently loss of traction, so it doesn't seem to be wearing as well either.

The X-11 is sort of spooky on the road, although I'm used to is now and know it won't really do anything strange, just feel weird. If I put 15-18 psi in it there is a very noticeable improvement on the road, but I'd never run that high in the dirt.

I think I'll get a mich for the front now also and see how I like it. They are darn expensive, but last so long the total cost is cheaper than many options.

I've never run a MT43 on the rear, the Mich works so darn well I don't really want to change. If I had lots of money I'd buy one and put it on my spare wheel, so I could swap it out on a ride and see how they compare, same day.

Oh yeah, I don't really notice the font tyre moving around like the rear does on the road. I don't notice the rear moving around out on the trails at all- but maybe I'm just a crummy enough rider I don't notice that stuff.

I also changed my style from the old sit-down, sliding corners I leaned in the 60-70s to standing 95% of the time. So I don't slide the rear intentionally ever, tracking rather than sliding. Maybe that's why I like the trials tyres so much, they work fantastic if you done break traction (down, up hills or around corners) but decrease in traction very noticably as soon as you break them loose. (Well, I think so anyway).

My MT43 lasted over a year. The side wall & bead was toasted not the tread! The one big negative with it was it was prone to flats on rocky higher speed  terrain, (needed to run higher psi) .Braking was not so good, It did not work so well in wet clay. The cornering was great, I am going back to knobby to see what I'm missing.

I currently have an MT43 on my WR450 and a Michelin X light on my GasGas 300. I've been running the MT43 for a while and it works great at 6psi or so. Finally got to try out the Xlight last weekend. Wow that things sticks like glue! Awesome traction everywhere, even went through mud with ruts so deep you couldn't keep your feet on the pegs. I was impressed, if it holds up I might buy another but man they're pricey.