Sign in to follow this  

TE310 and ktm 350 exc - Back to the future?

Was at Uptite this weekend getting some parts for my '07 te510. George asked me to try a new te310. I like! Seems the philosophy here is guys not wanting to race (much) don't need the power of a te510 and are getting beat up unnecessarily. The te310 is easier to ride they say in ruff areas. Definitely put it on my "possibles" list.

Went to pick up my kid, was a little early so strolled into the motorcycle store across the street and was shown/told about a 350 exc KTM. Both bikes have smaller engines, about 230 lbs +-

Kinda reminds me of the 30-40 hp bikes of the late 90's and early 2000's like the xr400 for recreational riders..but with water cooling and a starter.

Back to the future?

How are the 310's holding up and can they do a few miles on the road at 60-65 to connect trails? Some threads I read suggest not a good idea..

The 310 is a great bike, ridden a few now. As for 60-65 on the pavement you would need to gear it up. Feeling taxed at about 55 or so.

A few miles won't be a problem. I have a 08' TE250 and after 20 miles you butt hurts but the motor is just purring along!

I'm running 13/52 sprockets on my 2011 310 and at fifty it's revving, now compared to my 05 KTM 400exc with the same 13/52 gearing no problem 55/60, so the internal gearing must be different.

I'm running 13/52 sprockets on my 2011 310 and at fifty it's revving, now compared to my 05 KTM 400exc with the same 13/52 gearing no problem 55/60, so the internal gearing must be different.

the KTM's have far wider internal gear ratios. We have been shouting for taller ratios for years. Just spoke to the head of Husky USA and he told us there will be taller gear sets available soon and will be retrofitable in the 250/310.

That's good news, probably means we'll see a W model in the next model year(s)

the close box can be nice offroad, and if you don't mind a quick cs change for the days plan it's not that bad, I do it on 2 ds bikes and don't really mind.

Love my 2010 310....I have put alot of miles on it over the last 14 months, both street and dirt. I geared it up to handle the road better...still not perfect but I can get around from trail to trail at 55-60 easily...just not for a long period of time. Reliability is good...had a few minor issues at first but nothing at all the last 10-11 months.

Glad to hear a retrofit gearset is coming! That would be ideal!

Glad to hear a retrofit gearset is coming! That would be ideal!

I don't think he would have said it if it is not going to happen. Sounded like it was already on the way. They are listening. One thing we have to remember is sales here for huskys are not that strong and other markets are FAR stronger with WAY more volume so they are driving the needs at this point not us.