Sign in to follow this  

A little help...

Hey all, looking to get my first dirtbike after 36 yrs. I've been doing the roadrace thing for several yrs. now but just actually started racing. I've always wanted to play in the dirt but never took that step. I know it's a great tool for practice off the tarmac and could use a little help.

I'm looking primarily at 98-02 125 CR/YZ/RM's... sorry, just not a Kawasaki fan. =) Reason is pretty simple, trying to keep costs down and I am not looking to race mx, more off season training and some fun.

I know these are all high revving peaky critters but are either of them a little more broad in power than others? If one was going to be a little better at general riding or trails which one would it be? Everything tells me they are all fairly equal, but suspenion is also on my mind. Either better in stock form suspension wise? I am 5'7" and 160 lbs. Definately very novice in dirt but some of that time on the track should transfer over to some degree. No dillusions though, I know there will be a fairly decent learning curve involved.

Thanks !

stay away from 01-04 or 5 cr's their motors in those years were supposed to be dogs, rm's well they're rm's and known for their intense power, had a POS 90' 125 and it was as fast as a crf250r.. yz's are better i think from 05 up because they have a six speed? <not to sure about the yz one. you really can't go wrong,i would sugguest though that you should look at ktm's too! if you're doing primarily trails, a 200 or 150 xc exc xcw etc might be just right for you!

Why have you settled on 125 MX bikes? They will be alot of fun on the track, but they are very difficult for a dirt beginner to ride on trails...especially for technical trails. What is your budget? If you plan on doing both about 50/50, I would buy a KTM 200 XC, which will be at home on the track and trail...not very many bikes do both well. If you are doing 80% tracks, get the 125...but beware of the lack of low end power on the trails...that can get you in trouble.

Does no one read what he said he wanted???? "I'm looking primarily at 98-02 125 CR/YZ/RM's... "......... If your really stucked on these bikes I'd pick which ever one I could find that is in good shape and clean. There so close it isn't funny. One may be a bit better at one thing (like the RM is known for turning) but the others are just as good at something else.... Put three guys one these three bikes and the better rider will win on each bike....

NOW!!! with that said newer is better. 200 is also better but 250 is also....better

Thanks for the replies, and I knew full well that I'd get the "why an mx bike?" comment. :busted: Other than some fun the main reason I want to ride dirt is for roadrace practice. One thing we concentrate on is being very smooth but once you get to a particular level your bike is going to move around and slide on you.

Also, you start to need to adopt more advanced use of all your controls in unison to continue to progress. The 125mx should make me have to learn all of this to somewhat of an extreme level I'd imagine. Fine motor skills will most certainly carry over from one to the next. As for a budget, I am sticking to a cap of $1200. I also have no gear for this so I must factor that in on top of the purchase price of the bike.

As a side note, I've read about the KDX200 on here and considered it. One thing I'm trying to avoid though is messing with swapping forks and wanting to upgrade. I really appreciate good suspension. I'd rather just swap some springs/oil and have more adjustment to work with from the get go. Just like my road bikes, concentrate on suspension and rider skill.

stay away from 01-04 or 5 cr's their motors in those years were supposed to be dogs, rm's well they're rm's and known for their intense power, had a POS 90' 125 and it was as fast as a crf250r.. yz's are better i think from 05 up because they have a six speed? <not to sure about the yz one. you really can't go wrong,i would sugguest though that you should look at ktm's too! if you're doing primarily trails, a 200 or 150 xc exc xcw etc might be just right for you!

05+ yz's have aluminum frames :busted:

Does no one read what he said he wanted???? "I'm looking primarily at 98-02 125 CR/YZ/RM's... "......... If your really stucked on these bikes I'd pick which ever one I could find that is in good shape and clean. There so close it isn't funny. One may be a bit better at one thing (like the RM is known for turning) but the others are just as good at something else.... Put three guys one these three bikes and the better rider will win on each bike....

NOW!!! with that said newer is better. 200 is also better but 250 is also....better

Yes, we read what he thinks he wants. Alot of people think they want a particular bike and it doesnt fit their needs at all. Suggesting other bikes cannot do any harm....it can only be more informative for the op.

Uh...with that being said, you do realize you suggested a 200 and 250 yourself, right? Does no one read what he said he wanted?

i just tried to give him so pro's and cons of what he wanted! :busted: so i win! like it was said though, they're really all the same, except those years of hondas, now go on craigslist and find a few youre interested in and show us so we can sugguest! :busted:

I've been scouring CL and talking to a friend who is actually selling his

2001 RM. He's replaced the clutch basket (apparantly this is the weakness of RM's?) with an aluminum Magnum clutch basket and new clutch kit.

I've known the guy for a while now from road bikes so I feel very comfortable that he's not going to stick me with something trashed. The one thing it does need is the rear wheel trued. Ridable but could definately use it.

Could probably get this for $1000.

263920_10100385691103793_6202971_53658192_6492016_n.jpg

Also been thinking of calling this guy about his 2002 YZ. Here's the CL link...

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/mcy/2649065507.html

Appears to be clean, well maintained, and relatively stock. I keep reading good things about the YZ having a good motor, slightly more usable low/mid power... I'm definately thinking more the YZ route. I've owned my fair share of Suzuki's, I just feel they are a little lacking in overall fit/finish than the other big 4... mainly the red and blue.

A buddy just bought a CR125 and ended up having to dump over $700 into it for a handful of things to be sorted out. Trying not to end up in this camp !

Thanks for all the comments and side banter... it's been slightly entertaining. =)

Oh and for good measure, here's a KDX200... http://baltimore.craigslist.org/mcy/2666761724.html

I just got a 03 yz 125(similar to the 02) and the build quality is fantastic:thumbsup: It pulls strong right from the bottom :busted:

Ive never ridden a stock rm 125 only a rm 144 with hgs pipe and aftermarket head

i think that kdx is going to be alot more fun for a casual rider! and it's the same price as the rm your buddys selling! idk say go hop on that kdx and test it! see if you like it! because there's really nothing but good things said about that bike, i'd say ask for some pictures! i think 1000 is a great price ,atleast around here, 97's go for almost 1500!

Other thing I'm unsure of is if they usually have titles that transfer with owners?? I'm so used to street bikes and that whole side of it. Is there something I need to be aware of before making a transaction?

It depends on the state you live in. For example, Texas titles dirtbikes, but Oklahoma doesnt. Go to your local DMV site. All of my bikes have had titles, except one.

I owned 2 '99s, a 2000 and a 2001, and they wree all great bikes. (YZs.) I think the Yamaha had the most solid package in those years by far - power, suspension and reliability. Yamahas do not turn as easily as Hondas or Suzukis, so you'll get more cornering practice that way too!

for the reason that he stated i think that he DOES want a 125. They are harder to ride due to the amount of clutching and the need to carry speed through corners. he wants to develop a better riding style, a 125 WILL do that.

A buddy just bought a CR125 and ended up having to dump over $700 into it for a handful of things to be sorted out. Trying not to end up in this camp !

Thanks for all the comments and side banter... it's been slightly entertaining. =)

8-10 year old race bikes generally are gonna need some TLC. $700 to get one sorted sounds reasonable to me?