XL600r Carburetors

Recently picked up a non-running '85 XL600r. Was told it needed the carbs cleaned. What it needs are new carbs. Are the carbs from other year XL600r's compatible? What about XR600 carbs? Other than Ebay, where can I locate a set? Thanks

What's wrong with the current carbs that makes you think you need new ones,,are they totally seized up or something.

Yes carbs from any twin carb XR/XL 600 will work,,any year that had them will do,,even the twins from a 500 will be fine..Just change the jetting around..I wouldn't worry about changing needles..,you can if you like however..,Slightly different choke setup between some of the models..I'm sure you can work around that unless you want totally restored to original type carry on..XLs tend to have the lever on the bars,,XR,,lever on the carb body itself..

Ebays the best place for bits,..Americans seem to wreck a lot of bikes or park them in sheds and forget they're there..,,what's with that??,,We tend to resurrect older bikes down here as buying new or used is way expensive compared to the US so used parts are not as readily available ,,

Edited by Horri

The tabs on the carb bodies that allowed them to be bolted together are broken. Since they can't be bolted together, fuel leaks from the tube that lets fuel flow from the primary carb to the secondary. Didn't think there was going to be any easy fix for this.

The tabs on the carb bodies that allowed them to be bolted together are broken. Since they can't be bolted together, fuel leaks from the tube that lets fuel flow from the primary carb to the secondary. Didn't think there was going to be any easy fix for this.

DOH! :busted: Egay is probably going to be your best bet. From what Ive heard they can be hard to find. Ive heard that the 83 carbs are the most desirable because of the bore size so I would probably look for those first. Good luck.

Depends if you know a smart and good welder type person,,Some of that crap looking metal can be welded..some can't..Picture of both offending broken bits would be useful if you wanted to try a fix..A drill hole plus nut and bolt and a short extension of metal will fix one side,,the other,,some sort of epoxy two pot glue, or the stuff that you use to fix holes in casings could be shaped and made to work for the other..One of my 600s uses that stuff as the holder for the clutch cable on the motor so it's totally adequate strength wise to hold a couple of carbs together..No real tension on them when you bolt things up..they simply hold both together..I've got some spare bodies for some sort of XR/XL should you get desperate ,,..seen plenty on Ebay for quite an expensive price..

None for either XL or XR600 at the moment in the way of just bodies..just checked.,couple in the 500 section..Might be better to wait for the 600 ones to turn up as I'm not totally sure whether there may be a slight bowl difference size between the 5 and 6..both sort will fit but it's the depth of bowls that may vary..

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=xr500+carburetor&_sacat=6028&_odkw=xr600+carburetor&_osacat=6028&bkBtn=&_trksid=p4506.m270.l1313

Edited by Horri

I bought a used set from a bike wrecker for a spare, it only cost me $100 because one of the tabs were broken but the piece was still with it so i used JB Weld on it and it has seemed to work so far. Good luck

I will look through my stuff at the shop tomorrow, I might have an extra carb body that I can spare. I don't think years or model would matter much as long as they are 600 carbs, not 83.

I finally located my extra carb bodies,(moved my shop to a new location and it is like an archeological dig to find anything)I have a usable carb body with the attaching points still intact if you want it. It is a right side carb with a tab on the rear and one on the front left near the float bowl to hold them together.

I dont know what year/model, but it does have a 108 main if that identifies it further. I am sure someone here has a chart of the years jet fitments if you really need to know. I dont think it will make any difference anyway since you will use your own carb guts and want to rejet anyway probably.

Whatever you do, while the parts are still available, get the carb kits, needle and seat, and floats. Either from here or your nearest Honda dealer. Don't bother trying to tune a carb in need of basic repair, all you'll get is a headache, besides, after replacing all the above parts, you should be good for another 30 years.

Unlike the XT600 carb kit from Sudco, no one offers a new (bolt on) carb set for the XL600R.

Appreciate all the replies and offers. I purchased a used pair off Ebay that are allegedly off a running bike. I'm going to go through them, but they look pretty good. Kinda stinks that no one make a rebuild kit for these. What is available from Honda still?

Appreciate all the replies and offers. I purchased a used pair off Ebay that are allegedly off a running bike. I'm going to go through them, but they look pretty good. Kinda stinks that no one make a rebuild kit for these. What is available from Honda still?

Go to motosporthillsboro.com and click the parts fisch. Anything still available will be listed with a part number.

Most problematic part to get for the dual carb XL/XR600 is the rubber/plastic float bowl gaskets,,Short supply them..Never seen any for sale anywhere to be honest.,,If I'm desperate for a fix I leave the old rubber ones in and double up with some home made paper float bowl gaskets,,..They seem to work ok though they're fiddly to cut as they only need to be about 5mm wide and do a few serious twists and turns.,ie,,No room for error with your knife nor punch...Should you ever try making any make sure you trim the internal side enough or the gasket will get hung up on the floats,,that's no good for the running of the bike..

Edited by Horri

plenty on german ebay.

I will look through my stuff at the shop tomorrow, I might have an extra carb body that I can spare. I don't think years or model would matter much as long as they are 600 carbs, not 83.

You wouldn’t still have an 85 XL600R carbs still laying around or know anyone with good info about where I could get one?

I recently repaired a pair of mine using the aluminum brazing rod I purchased at Harbor Freight. def not an easy repair to do esp if its the first time using said product. but it is doable. I also know a very skilled welder that has done I for me in the past w/ his tig machine. I will say the material used in those older carbs is noticeably more resistant to slumping like pot metal does. I think that's the only reason I got away with it. I have been using that rod for a few years but don't claim success due to my mad skills

neil