Sign in to follow this  

Fouling Plugs

I have a 2001 yz 125 and the spark plugs have been getting fouled out. I have gone through 3 so far and after about an hour of riding, when I turn it off it won't start back up.

The Spark Plugs come out all black and I have to wipe the oil off with a napkin and put it back in, then it'll start again. I let the bike sit for about 10 minutes, stick a thin small long piece of napkin in the spark plug hole and this is what is showed.

img2607py.jpg

I've done some research and saw a lot of different answers so I figured thumper would be the best place to get an answer. If you could please tell me how I could fix this it would be great.

AND, if I need to take it to a shop to get it fixed, or if I can do it myself, mind telling me the price range if its not too much trouble? That would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, it's greatly appreciated.

Many many reasons on plug fouling...for starters,check the reeds,main bearings and seals,grounding of the coil(s),compression,carb float level,the internal seal of the carb(the one with the funny screws). My personal YZ250 ended up being a damaged cdi.(low power\fouling plugs) Replaced with a used one from fle-bay and works great now.But that's rare.

How long are you letting the bike sit and idle? What kind of riding are you doing? A lot of trail riding where you are not always on the pipe, or are you doing track or more open riding where you are on the pipe constantly. Are you losing transmission fluid? Pilot jet is often the culprit of fouled plugs.