Sign in to follow this  

300 XC or XC-W.

Hello,

I would like to know which of those is better for dunes ridding? I´m afraid the semi-wide ratio of the XC over revs a lot with the loose sand and the motor wears away pretty fast.

On the other hand I think the XC suspension is better for big jumps, I dont know if I can fix the ratio thing making it widder with another sproket size.

Some help would be usefull.

Thanks.

What year are you looking at, if it's '11 or newer the XC has the 6spd gearbox so no worries of over-rev. Even with the 5spd though, the semi close gearbox is better than the W as 5th is useless for anything but dirt roads...

What year are you looking at, if it's '11 or newer the XC has the 6spd gearbox so no worries of over-rev. Even with the 5spd though, the semi close gearbox is better than the W as 5th is useless for anything but dirt roads...

Hi, I am looking for a brand new 2012. So your choose would go to the XC? what about suspension, XCW could work for big jumps? or what consequences can I have if I use it for big jumps?

Well as you can see in my sig I'm on a W, but if I were to buy again I would go XC only because I'd like to start doing more MX. The W will handle jumps if properly sprung which you have to do on either bike but it will bottom out quicker, the CC forks on the XC are more designed for that type of use. So ya, you can jump it, it's just a bit harsher, however if this is for trail riding more than jumping then the W is the way to go. Oh, also the XC now also has linkage which many claim is better for jumping. Honestly, if your looking for something to rail in the dunes then you're better off on a 250SX, if you want a cross between dunes (jumping) and trail then the XC, if you want mostly trail with a little dunes (jumping) then get the XC-W.

Honestly, if your looking for something to rail in the dunes then you're better off on a 250SX, if you want a cross between dunes (jumping) and trail then the XC, if you want mostly trail with a little dunes (jumping) then get the XC-W.

I think that's pretty good advice.

I have a 2012 250XC, the XCs come with the linkage, the XCWs dont. Get the XC! It has a 6 speed as does thew W but you dont get the headlight. tail light and odometer. The suspension will be great either way because it sounds like you will need a revalve. With the XC, you might only need springs. It really is a coin toss!

I have a 2012 250XC, the XCs come with the linkage, the XCWs dont. Get the XC! It has a 6 speed as does thew W but you dont get the headlight. tail light and odometer. The suspension will be great either way because it sounds like you will need a revalve. With the XC, you might only need springs. It really is a coin toss!

the "W" doesn't come with the headlight or tail light either....just the Odometer vs the "XC". they are both capable of runing the lights but you need to buy them and add to the bike.

Joe

the "W" doesn't come with the headlight or tail light either....just the Odometer vs the "XC". they are both capable of runing the lights but you need to buy them and add to the bike.

Joe

No kidding, bummer for you guys. In Canada they come with the headlight and tail light.

Thanks for your comments, I have some main doubts that doesnt let me take the desition:

If I change sprokets for wider ratio from the XC what should I do exactly and how many teeth change should i do??, cuz my main concerns are because of 3 things:

1. In the sand it over-revs too much with close ratio gearing and maybe with the semi-wide ratio (XC). What can I do to make the XC as wider as the W ?? so it doesnt over-revs and the machine doesnt works excessively hard every weekend.

2. If I can install head and tail lights to the XC for trail ridding? And if the battery magnetos and wiring are the same in the XC than in the XCW.

3. If the suspension of the XC is softer compared to a MX bike? or it would be kind of the same? theorically it is differente, but i would like some comments from ppl that has experienced it.

I'll try to answer your questions. I have a 2012 300 XC and love it..

Question #1: The XC has the closer ratio tranny, but the only two different gears are first and second. The W is lower, and still has the wide gap. The XC 1st and 2nd are higher but closer. All other gears are the same. On my bike they are about perfect over my W that I had. As far as sand I do not worry about over-revving as the 300 is all about low-mid range.. Especially mid range. With the close ratio gears I just shift seamlessly to the next gear. No problem.

Question #2: The XC I have is ready for lights. All I added was a tail light, and headlight. Plug and play.

Question #3: I have not ridden the SX but the suspension on my 12 300 is great right out of the box.. I doubt I'll have it revalved as I pretty much like it the way is.. Just set the clickers to your liking as well as springs SAG.

Edited by zilla

I'll try to answer your questions. I have a 2012 300 XC and love it..

Question #1: The XC has the closer ratio tranny, but the only two different gears are first and second. The W is lower, and still has the wide gap. The XC 1st and 2nd are higher but closer. All other gears are the same. On my bike they are about perfect over my W that I had. As far as sand I do not worry about over-revving as the 300 is all about low-mid range.. Especially mid range. With the close ratio gears I just shift seamlessly to the next gear. No problem.

Question #2: The XC I have is ready for lights. All I added was a tail light, and headlight. Plug and play.

Question #3: I have not ridden the SX but the suspension on my 12 300 is great right out of the box.. I doubt I'll have it revavled as I pretty much like it the way is.. Just set the clickers to your liking as well as springs SAG.

Thanks all for your comments, seems the XC is the way to go, since every weekend we go to the dunes and do both, jumping and trail ridding 50-50.

Just one last question. To install the head and tail lights to the XC, I need to buy the wiring arnes from the XC-W ??

Just one last question. To install the head and tail lights to the XC, I need to buy the wiring arnes from the XC-W ??

I bought mine fromm Enduro Engineering.. Same stuff though..

Came to my mind another one.....

How much is too much jumping to go XC?

I go every weekend to the dunes, and we do sand trail ridding and maximum 10 big jumps. thats all.

I go every weekend to the dunes, and we do sand trail ridding and maximum 10 big jumps. thats all.

It will handle more than you can likely dish it, unless you have mad crazy skills or if you crash the crap out of it....

The XC suspension is the exact same as the SX. The only difference is the valving. If you so concerned about the suspension, youll have those concerns on any motorcycle. Get it revalved if your really that worried!

No, you dont need any wiring harness. It already has those parts on the bike. What you will need is the physical headlight and taillight. They can be bought from numerous companies such as trailtech. All you have to do is plug the physical headlight wiring port into the stock KTM, fasten the head light to the bike and your set.

Thanks pumpkin.

Another one jumped into my mind!

What would be easier:

A sprocket change on a 300 XC to make it wider (XC-W style) for long/high speed dunes ridding, OR

A shock revalve on a 300 XCW to make it stiffer (harder) as XC for big jumps.

The thing is we do both !! Big jumps on sand and high speed races. Cant decide.

Help will be appreciated.

Thanks pumpkin.

Another one jumped into my mind!

What would be easier:

A sprocket change on a 300 XC to make it wider (XC-W style) for long/high speed dunes ridding, OR

A shock revalve on a 300 XCW to make it stiffer (harder) as XC for big jumps.

The thing is we do both !! Big jumps on sand and high speed races. Cant decide.

Help will be appreciated.

Sprocket change will be easier and cheaper! The 2011/2012 come with the 6 speed, there should be no issues when it comes to overall top speed when compared to a XC-W.

The closer ratio transmission on the XC will also work better for you in the sand.