Sign in to follow this  

Thinking about an XR-R again........crazy??

Thinking about selling my plated 450X and going back to an XR R. Is this stupid?

Here is my justification:

I love my X but I want to be able to hop on it and do 150 -200 mile rides with some friends who one has a KLR the other a BMW GS. I don't want to lose any offroad ability though because unlike my friends, I can only afford one bike. I've had two different XR's and since I'm a big guy I know I can ride them in single track, the dunes, you name it. I would be losing the button but I never had a problem kicking the big 650 to life. While my previous bikes weren't set up for adventure riding, I've heard and read they are capable at long distances on the road.

Stupid??

You had an R so you would be best to answer the question. I love mine in the dirt and on road. 200 miles in twisties is awesome. 60 miles on the freeway sucks (vibration mostly). But I'm sure it is way better than it would be on a 450x.

When I've ridden my friend's 450x I hated it. Felt totally gutless except revving out compared to the 650R. That was in the desert though so if it was in the trees and tight stuff I'm sure I would like it more.

Edited by basalt

I just switched over to 14/48. It helped but its still not that great if your going to go any kind of distance.

i think 14/48 is stock gearing on a usa spec xrr.i have been running 15/47 and it works out real good.cruises at 70 ok.it kind of puts a gap in the ratios though and i ran on a long straight deep sand road at 6000' elevation and it liked 4th better at 60 mph.you can always swap out countershaft sprockets if you think you are going to run a tight trail.if i run lab2v i am switching to 14 in front.

Thinking about selling my plated 450X and going back to an XR R. Is this stupid?

Here is my justification:

I love my X but I want to be able to hop on it and do 150 -200 mile rides with some friends who one has a KLR the other a BMW GS. I don't want to lose any offroad ability though because unlike my friends, I can only afford one bike. I've had two different XR's and since I'm a big guy I know I can ride them in single track, the dunes, you name it. I would be losing the button but I never had a problem kicking the big 650 to life. While my previous bikes weren't set up for adventure riding, I've heard and read they are capable at long distances on the road.

Stupid??

I'm hording all the XRR's I can find, I ride mine on all kinds of adventure rides with the boys. One time I did 500 miles in one day on her, I have a better wider seat and that made all the difference in the world.

I also have a clarke tank that's a must for adventure riding.

This bikes will go the miles and get good fuel mile I average 48 mpg on mine.

I have both sets of wheels, supermoto and dirt wheels for her.

Pop's

I've had both and recently sold the 450X after 3 years of ownership. The 450X is a badass bike and the E-start is very sweet. However, there is something about the XRR that makes it more fun to ride for me. Maybe its the incredible low-end torque, cadillac suspension, and deep thumpy bark of the exhaust. The XRR will do about 95% of the off road riding a 450X can do. I had a slight bit of sellers remorse when I sold my 450X. Mainly because I missed the snappy power, and instant throttle response. I put a FCR on the XRR and now I dont miss the 450 at all. It feels like a 450X with a 200cc big bore kit (plus 50lbs) now.

I rode my XRR about a month ago about 100 miles and loved everything about it but the seat. Its a butt kicker!

The XRR will do about 95% of the off road riding a 450X can do.

I agree with you:thumbsup:

But the X can only do about 75% of what the XRR can do on the road, if your going to keep it offroad capable.

Im shopping for an XRR plated right now. Ive been researching this for a long time. Yeah the BRP is a bit hefty and its not a MX bike but in all other areas in shines and the drive train is bullet proof as it gets.

I have owned both bikes too (XRR and 450X) both plated and I have recently sold the 450 because I wanted a bike to ride around the back roads on and still be dirt worthy. The 450X is an awesome dirt bike but it sucks on the road for any length of time even geared up for it. The 650 is just much better suited for dual sport use. I picked up a cheap 650L to try out and it is great to have the button but I miss the performance of the R. I may be in the market myself here soon for another plated R. To bad as I had the last one farkled out completely :busted:

Got one now in TN which was plated before I bought it. See the classifieds..

I put my bike in the classifieds if anyone is interested and wants to check it out.

One of my CRF450's the 05 model I put a 500 kit in it.

It was much better with that and the TRX valves they would be better for trail but still hey the big XR is the one i have now.

I've been thinking about selling my XRR. Mainly due to the terrain I ride, it takes a lot out of you manhandling a big torquey bike around tight trails.

I blame my last crash on fatigue just from trying to hold on in the tight stuff trying to get her to corner when they just weren't made for the terrain I ride.

If I sold, I'm thinking KTM 300 2 stroke. But I just don't know if I could part with my R, could I be happy with anything less?

I just know that I will miss that big torquey motor but at the same time it's overkill for me.

Just got a road bike as well so re-thinking my biking strategy. A CBR1100xx & a XR650R, hmm. Both big long lasting uber reliable bikes when there is a plethora of light nimble rides around in both road & trail categories.

I think I'm starting to understand why people collect bikes, a machine for every mission. :busted:

But what do you do when you can only afford 1? You pick the best bike that suits all tasks that you are going to ask it to do, relevant to the terrain you ride.

I honestly rarely get my R flat out in top gear, and when I do none of my mates with their Blue/ Yellow or Orrange bikes can keep up.

Yea i dunno 6fidy a mate of mine had an 08RMZ450f i rode with,he couldn't keep with me in the tight stuff.

So he buys a 010KTM 300EXC/E,he still can't beat me in the tight stuff but i'm really working hard now,really hard.

But yea i'd like to be on his in the tight stuff.

I think I'm starting to understand why people collect bikes, a machine for every mission. :busted:

But what do you do when you can only afford 1? You pick the best bike that suits all tasks that you are going to ask it to do, relevant to the terrain you ride.

I honestly rarely get my R flat out in top gear, and when I do none of my mates with their Blue/ Yellow or Orrange bikes can keep up.

Clearly the CBR needs to go! Supermoto the XRR, buy something smaller, and have the best of three worlds!

I just did my first Hare Scrambles. At 36 and out of shape the 650 whooped me. I absolutely love it in the desert or at my own pace, but having to keep pushing for an hour and a half was something else!

If I was to do more of that type racing I would have to get something smaller, but the 650 will never be sold.