Sign in to follow this  

650L Countershaft won't engage

I have an '07 650l w/ 9800 miles on it. It's always been drivin gently and well maintained. I was slowing from 40mph in 4th down to about 12mph, while the clutch was in I downshifted to sthird, then second. I released the clutch to take off and there was nothing. Now no matter what position the transmision is in, it won't "engage". I use dog ears there because if you put it in gear and give it gas there is a quiet whirl which changes frequency depending on the gear.

There was never a clunk,gring,crunch,ping or any other noise that would indicate catastrophic failure. HELP please.

Countershaft... check to see if the splines are stripped. If they are gutted, your sprocket will freewheel on the shaft. If it is fragged, a complete teardown is in order. Certainly doable (I did it), but it takes some time and a stack of coins. It is always a great excuse to fix it faster.

if its the CS, weld the sprocket on, should get you until the sprocket wears out

although that will allow you to procrastinate a lot longer than repairing properly...

As the least experienced and knowledgable person in this thread, take my babbling with a grain of salt :busted:. That being said,it doesn't seem possible that the CS splines would strip instantly and fairly quietly ( as seems to have been implied by the OP), without the him having sensed something seriously F'ing up. It also doesn't seem likely that they would strip so cleanly, that there wouldn't afterward be any grinding,friction or noise when applying some throttle.

I think even a broken CS, as suggested above would make all sorts of racket when gas is applied.

From his description ("it won't engage") I'm thinking something deeper inside his tranny just s*** the bed.

Damn, well I guess it's time to slap a kickstart on, maybe a port/polish job and better piston. Thanks guys.

Edited by surveywaters
retard

As the least experienced and knowledgable person in this thread, take my babbling with a grain of salt :busted:. That being said,it doesn't seem possible that the CS splines would strip instantly and fairly quietly ( as seems to have been implied by the OP), without the him having sensed something seriously F'ing up. It also doesn't seem likely that they would strip so cleanly, that there wouldn't afterward be any grinding,friction or noise when applying some throttle.

I think even a broken CS, as suggested above would make all sorts of racket when gas is applied.

From his description ("it won't engage") I'm thinking something deeper inside his tranny just s*** the bed.

History says its gutted splines...

Damn, well I guess it's time to slap a kickstart on, maybe a port/polish job and better piston. Thanks guys.

Have you checked the countershaft splines? If the countershaft is toasted, and you have the time, please post photos.

Spud :busted:

It's the countershaft.... There was a Sunstar 14t sprocket on there for the past 1500miles. I don't get why these shafts are so soft! This bike has been ridden unbelievably gently and as for the chain tension (which I've seen referenced as a possible cause), it's always been properly adjusted and well maintained. This bike is way to young to go rippin' into a perfectly healthy engine......Honda disapoints me for the first time in ever.

I've never seen a countershaft strip before, not even on the nastiest of bikes, I've seen chains break but never this kind of failure!

It's the countershaft.... There was a Sunstar 14t sprocket on there for the past 1500miles. I don't get why these shafts are so soft! This bike has been ridden unbelievably gently and as for the chain tension (which I've seen referenced as a possible cause), it's always been properly adjusted and well maintained. This bike is way to young to go rippin' into a perfectly healthy engine......Honda disapoints me for the first time in ever.

I've never seen a countershaft strip before, not even on the nastiest of bikes, I've seen chains break but never this kind of failure!

Oh, that sucks.:busted:

I had to replace mine last year.

There is good news...:busted:

You can add all kinds of goodies since you're going to be in there anyway...

- kick start

- gear change

- piston

- bore

- cam

- head porting

- etc.

- etc.

- etc.

Apologies for the newb-confusion, but I'm still scratching my head:D. Are we talking about the same counter shaft splines that directly contact the inner splines on the drive sprocket ? The same part we're all concerned about rusting, and getting deformed by the thinner "L" sprocket ? ( so we've replaced with the "R" sprocket). Are y'all saying the splines have stripped cleanly and smoothly, and the CS is now spinning freely inside the front sprocket?

Apologies for the newb-confusion, but I'm still scratching my head:D. Are we talking about the same counter shaft splines that directly contact the inner splines on the drive sprocket ? The same part we're all concerned about rusting, and getting deformed by the thinner "L" sprocket ? ( so we've replaced with the "R" sprocket). Are y'all saying the splines have stripped cleanly and smoothly, and the CS is now spinning freely inside the front sprocket?

That is exactly what we are talking about.

That is exactly what we are talking about.

OK,cool,thanks. Any chance we can get a pic of this ?

I agree; I don't think a tight drive chain causes the countershaft splines to strip on the XR650L. :busted: Honda obviously messed up the design of the XR650L drive train. :bonk: If Honda wanted to employ a thin countershaft sprocket on the XR650L, they should have at least included a cush drive on the rear wheel. :busted:

I hate to say it, but you're screwed. :lol: If you don't have time to split the crankcase right now, you can weld a sprocket onto the countershaft as a temporary measure until you get time to replace the countershaft.

I strongly encourage all XR650L owners to inspect their countershaft sprockets, and countershaft splines for wear. If you see even a hint of rust on either the sprocket, or the countershaft itself, the splines are wearing. ;) If you note wear on your countershaft, I suggest you install the wider, XR650R countershaft sprocket to arrest the damage before it gets worse.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=966663

Spud :bonk:

Edited by SpudRider

Just go on and installed the wider sprockety, and acush drive would be a great idea, i've seen some aftermarket systems.

Here's the thread I started to track the rebuild of my motor. The PO welded the sprocket in place and somehow forgot to mention it when he sold me the bike. :busted::banghead:An honest oversight on his part, I am certain:smirk:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=832355&highlight=pig+rescue

The weather is turning cold, I would just tear into it and be done. Welding it on is Half-assed:moon: (at best) jmho

This is the only weak link on the bike. Friend of mine had the same thing happen - split the cases and diit right, as well as a crank and top end job. Then he sold it. This happens I think because there are no sprocket cushions like in the old days, itis, if you will "direct drive" and the countershaft takes alot of abuse.

That is inexcusable. Ive owned nearly one hundred bikes and have never had countershaft issues like that. I have a 86 CR500 that puts out harder hitting power than the 650's and theres no CS wear like that. Honda needs to be notified about this and I wouldnt dismiss a class action if they dont address it. To have to tear down a 07 motor for a part like that is just wrong.

Here's the thread I started to track the rebuild of my motor. The PO welded the sprocket in place and somehow forgot to mention it when he sold me the bike. :bonk::banghead:An honest oversight on his part, I am certain:smirk:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=832355&highlight=pig+rescue...

Indeed, forgetting to tell you he welded the sprocket onto the countershaft was probably a mere oversight, Red. :busted:

Spud :busted: