Soften up read suspension on KLX110L?

Hi - I'm looking at a KLX110L for my son who weighs about 60 lbs. I really like the bike as a next bike for him, but the rear suspension seems VERY stiff and I'm concerned it may not have much give to it when he's jumping. I know it will never be KX65 plush (and not intended to be an MX bike), but wondering if there's anything that can be done to make it a little more compliant. We've never ridden one so maybe it's not as stiff as it seems on the showroom floor? Appreciate everyone's feedback.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I got a new shock for my son's klx 110l, for christmas. The only problem was that it is for the 110 not 110l(about an inch shorter). My son rode it last weekend. He said it was the first time that he has ridden it, with out feeling a every little bump on the rear wheel. I got the shock from T-bolt racing. I ordered the DNM shock with rebound adjustment and a adjustable collar on the spring. They have different rate springs, I got the lightest at 250 in. lbs.

• 3 weeks later...

We bought a KLX110L for our grandduaghter for Christmans., and the stock shock spring was so harsh, it did not even sag when she sat on the bike. She's weighs about 100 pounds. I weigh 180 and it would not even sag under my weight. After searching everywhere for a lighter spring - there is none. We found a machine shop here in Mobile, Alabama who made a 3-stage adjustable collar that softens the rear suspenion, it has 2 additional adjustments. Now she can ride the bike without kicking every time she hits something - the suspension really works. Contact Brad at Mobile Hydraulics - 251-331-1847.

Edited by atkala

This is interesting. I read somewhere that the "L" was geared for a much heavier rider, figuring a lot of guys will "pit bike" the L. Seems from everyones review that just may be the case.

My boy is tall and heavy (Linebacker type) and was thinking the L may be next on the list.

• 2 weeks later...

I found the Fox Float shock was a great solution for my 68 lb son. It is very adjustable, including rebound adjustment, and has made a big difference in his riding. When he rides at the track, I can pump it higher to keep it from bottoming over jumps, then let air out to make it softer when he rides trails. I think it set me back about $300 shipped. I like the fox also because it is a straight bolt-on part, works fine with the stock swingarm.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I just did this yesterday. My son hasn't had a chance to ride it this way yet, but I'm hopeful this buys him another year on the 110.

KLX 110L shock with a KLX 110 stock spring and PVC spacer.

IMG_2058_zpsd4461c29.jpg

The problem is there aren't any significantly softer springs available for the 110L shock, which is longer than the 110 shock. John Castaldi, the KLX 110 guru of the ECEA, suggested trying this. I experimented with the spacer height and settled on 1 inch. (The spacer in the picture is 1 5/8") It's still kind of stiff, but at least it sags under my son's weight (about 85 lbs).

I also grabbed a set of KX 60 forks on fleabay for $100, which raised the front end up level with the new 110L shock in the rear. I had to grind a bit off the brake stay bracket on the swingarm to get the necessary down travel to allow the shock to mount up.

IMG_2059_zps5f440b0a.jpg

I rode it around the yard a bit, and the front is PLUSH. The back is still stiffer than I'd like, but way better than the stock 110L shock/spring. I may add some preload to the fork springs to even out the front-rear compliance a bit. Just need a 110L front brake cable and longer side stand, and I'll have a poor-man's 110L set up for a kid.

• 3 weeks later...

dfeckel,

any chance you have a seat height measurement for those mods. My son just turned 9 in Jan but the 110 seems to be a little short for him, but the 60/65 we have seen are too tall for the single track we ride, he won't be able to dab at all in a tight spot. I have been looking at the 60 fronts and building a new swing arm in the rear but am trying to figure out the finished height, not being able to touch the ground with atleast 1 foot sucks in my opinion.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Check this out attached

Dean at Peak Velocity...www.peakvelocity.ca fixed me up. He rebuilt the spring on the stock shock. On the left is the new set up and on the right is old pieces. I now have a selection of over 5 spring rates from 100 to 200 (I believe it was a 200 that was on there) and i can now pick the right shock spring for the riders weight.

And if I want, he will build me an adjustable collar the adjust the sag.

Check him out for this.

Attached Thumbnails

image.jpg

• 7 years later...