Sign in to follow this  

Chain: Master Link Question

Stupid question :busted: I have an 04 and just bought a new chain. It came with o-rings for the master link and says it can be installed with or without and to check the owner's manual for suggested installation. I was unable to find any specifications in the manual. Should I install the master link with or without the black o-rings? Thanks.

If it's an o-ring chain, use the o-rings, must be o-ring if it came with o-rings, the stock chain is not o-ring so the manual will be no help, be sure to put the clip on forward ...

It will be important to know if the chain is O-ring or not! The o-ring chains are wider than stock (unless you have the narrow O-ring chain). If you don't buy the special spacer to go behind the spocket you will damage the case. At least flip the sprocket 180° to offset the sprocket so it does not happen!

The O-rings are vital to keeping dirt out of the link pins. Use them!

if the mstr lnk was designed for an o-ring chain, and you don't use the o-rings.. your going to collect ALL KINDS of dirt that will find it's way inside the roller due to all the space created not using the 0-rings..

Do you have an o-ring chaing or don't you?

It will be important to know if the chain is O-ring or not! The o-ring chains are wider than stock (unless you have the narrow O-ring chain). If you don't buy the special spacer to go behind the spocket you will damage the case. At least flip the sprocket 180° to offset the sprocket so it does not happen!

The O-rings are vital to keeping dirt out of the link pins. Use them!

I thought that was only with x ring chains:excuseme:

if a chain is too wide it will rub the case at the countershaft sprocket area.. x, o, whatever. If too wide it rubs, unless you flip the sprocket or put some sort of spacer back there. As some posts have shown, there are narrower x-o ring chains that don't require any modification.

if a chain is too wide it will rub the case at the countershaft sprocket area.. x, o, whatever. If too wide it rubs, unless you flip the sprocket or put some sort of spacer back there. As some posts have shown, there are narrower x-o ring chains that don't require any modification.