Sign in to follow this  

sand in trany

my fill plug for my 05' KTM 300 fell off while riding in Mojave. just drained the fluid no sand appeared do come out but for good measure i want to flush the trany. I've heard of using diesel fuel in car tranys but dirtbikes have the clutch in there too. Does anyone know how to clean one without taking it apart?

I would use 80w gear oil but the cheap kind for the flushes and then when you put the final oil in use the normal stuff you would use ride it and change it again. You can never be to safe

I would use ATF. it's safe to run in the trans and clutch and has a high detergent content. Just pour in a quart and run it on the stand and then drain it. Pour in a fresh quart and run it slowly through the gears and drain it again. 2 or 3 times would do it I'm sure, expecially if the original oil came out clean.

My brother's 360 ate three power valve screws. We pulled it apart and inspected all the disks and they were good. It was amazing how much metal came out the drain plug. Then, after a top end job, some butt hole stole his 360.