Sign in to follow this  

How does my plug look?

I decided to check how my plug looked after this weekend's riding. We rode at this sandy place we call "the river" that has some trails and a couple small tracks. This was my first ride back after my big crash at the track a couple of weeks ago. The last time I looked at the plug a few weeks ago, it had a nice brown color to it. I'm running Maxima Castor 927 at 32:1. Here are some pictures I took of it tonight:

1gncir.jpg

259deed.jpg

Do you guys think this is looking too lean? It's hard to see the exact color of it with the lighting in these pictures, plus it was hard to get it to focus. But it looks like a mixture between white, brown, and a bit of grey; almost ashy looking.

What you guys think?

Looks about right. It is wet at all? Make sure you put anti-seize on the threads before you put it back in. Check the gap too. All in all, it looks about right. Stay with it.

Better a tad rich than doing a top end. Plugs are cheap.

Ride hard, read plugs,-repeat

If the temp drops very much you will be on the lean side but right now it looks ok. I wouldnt put anti sieze on the threads it seems to get stiff and makes it hard to spin them out by hand. I change plugs about twice a year and have never had one even close to siezing in the head.

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses guys. If I wanted to richen it up though, what would I have to change as far as jetting goes? I honestly haven't looked at the carb at all, we bought this bike about 2.5 months ago.

Thanks for the responses guys. If I wanted to richen it up though, what would I have to change as far as jetting goes? I honestly haven't looked at the carb at all, we bought this bike about 2.5 months ago.

If you are after a 'safer' jetting, increase the main jet size until it starts to blubber, then go down one size. Do the same with the needle.

I think only a plug chop shows you if you are running rich or lean in more exact way. If your timing is a tat advanced the plug shows more gray than brown.

I agree. When I pull my plug it appears that I'm running lean. But if you pull my head, the piston wash makes it look like I'm running rich.

Personally i've never had success reading jetting from a spark plug. I have the best succes by jetting with my right hand.:busted:

With the cool or cold weather comming up I would move the clip down one to richen it up

a tad, you are right on the border of being too lean and a sandy type track and much cooler temps and you will have a problem.

Edited by Holy Smoke

I would go 1 richer on the main, you are right on the border. As it gets colder you will get lean.

All good input. better to be safe than sorry, up one jet on the main. That is the little brass piece in the middle, need a hex to take it off. Will say something like 178 on it. You want a higher number(180..).

2 strokes are hard to read unless you run WFO all the time like a kart. But we ran alcohol which is even more difficult. The color of cardboard is about right. Better to error on the side of safety.