Sign in to follow this  

Anyone have a shop do the WR tranny swap?

Anyone have a shop do the WR tranny swap? How much was it and did they do a good job?

Thanks

In the middle of doing mine right now. I don't think (I know I wouldn't) I'd trust a shop to do it considering the case needs some grinding to allow the WR 1st gear to fit. Labor shouldn't be any more than theyd charge to install a crank I'd imagine, but I'd also wonder what all "bad parts" they'd find and need to replace while they were in there to run the bill up. I don't trust any shop I've ever been to, with exception of one.

I agree, no shop around here is touching my stuff. That is why I asked the question. Figured there might be a known race shop out west that might have done it for someone. Swapping tranny's is above my ability. I can do a lot, but I don't split cases.

eric gorr will do it for you. pretty cheap too. i'd trust him. might be able to have him do some other fun stuff while he has your motor. his pricing is great when you bundle.....nothing pulls wr gears like an extra 50ccs :busted:

I agree, no shop around here is touching my stuff. That is why I asked the question. Figured there might be a known race shop out west that might have done it for someone. Swapping tranny's is above my ability. I can do a lot, but I don't split cases.

You can do it:thumbsup:

Nope. I will turn it into a month long odessey of horror and expense. A man has got to know his limitations. I know mine.

• Like 1

Mines been down about 3-4 weeks. Pulled it apart and found the trans bearings were notchy (I wonder if PO changed oil by witness hole and not total amount), so I ordered all 4 and went ahead and got crank bearings / seals too. Waited on them about a week and 1/2, got them and buggered one of the trans bearings putting it in. Had to order another one, and wait another week.

Finally got the cases back together last night. Was going to try and get more done tonight but Im still at freaking work right now :busted:

I dont think I'm going to change your mind, however I'm also on the 'do it yourself' bandwagon.

In the space of a few months I went from basically knowing nothing at all to splitting my cases. I'd had a local shop of mine do work previously and it was a complete joke how much he charged, how long it took him to do anything and how poor his attention to detail was.

So I said "f#%$ it, gonna do it myself".

it took 3 months (got said local shop to order parts for me and he stuffed it up TWICE) but I just got the engine back in the frame last night... she started up second kick :bonk:

I literally danced around the back yard, such a feel of euphoria and accomplishment ;):busted::banana::busted::banana::bonk::banana::lol:

I'd send it to Eric Gorr as well. His work is excellent and reasonable. I also second the 295 kit, most fun I've ever had on a dirt bike has been after I installed that kit.

Transmissions are simple cheesy, Get a crank puller and split those bad boys and the gears and what not are on a shaft and you pull them off do the fairly simple modifications put the gear shafts back into place and then press the cases back together. Most Mechanic shops won't mess with retro custom jobs. A high end machine shop would but for the price of shipping and the time involved you could be done with it and save a ton of money... and learn a lot about the transmission of your bike in the process.

• Like 1