Sign in to follow this  

KX 100 - last major revision?

I'm looking to pick up a KX 100 for my son, and I have the good fortune to be in a major metro area where there are lots of 100s to choose from any given week (and I'm not in any rush). Can anyone tell me what year had the last major revisions, or if there is a preferred generation for woods duty? Also, are there any particular problems areas I should be looking at on used examples? Thanks.

There's a fwe posts on here regarding this but in 06 was when the engine improvements were made from the 99-05 years. In the woods, you'll want the flywheel weight unless your kid really knows how to handle the clutch and likes staying on the pipe. There's some good threads in the FAQ section of this section.

There's a fwe posts on here regarding this but in 06 was when the engine improvements were made from the 99-05 years. In the woods, you'll want the flywheel weight unless your kid really knows how to handle the clutch and likes staying on the pipe. There's some good threads in the FAQ section of this section.

Are the '06 improvements of any value if the plan is to upgrade to the Hot Cams crank and get someone's pro porting done for low-end trail work?

Are the '06 improvements of any value if the plan is to upgrade to the Hot Cams crank and get someone's pro porting done for low-end trail work?

In 06, the crank, cylinder and head changed. The crank only changed due to using a LH thread nut to hold on the primary gear vs a snap ring. Imrovements were made to the cylinder that changed the port design and larger, thicker exhaust ports. It also has a breather port above the powervalve which is great for under-the-pipe riding and helps when WOT. The head was a substantial improvment with a redesigned chamber.

Believe it or not, the topends are interchangeable. Some will feel a difference and some won't, all depending on how you ride it.

BTW, the cranks are HotRods, not Hot cams...Same company, different name. But it's all good, we know what you meant.