Sign in to follow this  

2008 wr 250f deflection after revalve

sent my suspension to a shop for a revalve. i was fairly happy with it before the work, but figured with my size (6'4" 240lbs) i should get it redone. got it back and it does feel better overall, but now it has a nasty nasty deflection when hitting any thing bigger than an arm. it reminds me of my 2008 ktm 2t forks. tuner has had me try all kinds of things still not happy. running .48 springs in the front. he said all he does is tune with shims. he said differant valves wern't necessary?

Don't want to reveal shop yet as he is still working with me and said i could send them back in.

The WR doesn't have a conventional shim stack. It has a rather large spring that provides the resistance to movement for the shim covering the ports. I've had good luck installing a YZ piston on the WR compression adjuster and valving it accordingly.

so you're saying he couldn't have changed anything with shims? he claims to have done lots of wr's. it's a nationaly known shop.

There are a number of reputable shops and tuners who have tried very hard to take a conventional approach to the WR fork, and some do get pretty good results, but the design of the WR base valve is, um, ...well, let's say "limiting".

Some tuners have done modifications to utilize the base from an older YZ/YZF fork, but they don't really produce that much better results either.

IMO, the best solution to these is the kit from SMART Performance. Dave Johnson completely reconfigures the base valve in the fork to get what I think is a result that is all around much better than stock, or what you are describing.

sent my suspension to a shop for a revalve. i was fairly happy with it before the work, but figured with my size (6'4" 240lbs) i should get it redone. got it back and it does feel better overall, but now it has a nasty nasty deflection when hitting any thing bigger than an arm. it reminds me of my 2008 ktm 2t forks. tuner has had me try all kinds of things still not happy. running .48 springs in the front. he said all he does is tune with shims. he said differant valves wern't necessary?

Don't want to reveal shop yet as he is still working with me and said i could send them back in.

Your doing right by sending them back in. Give that tuner a good shot.

There are a number of reputable shops and tuners who have tried very hard to take a conventional approach to the WR fork, and some do get pretty good results, but the design of the WR base valve is, um, ...well, let's say "limiting".

Some tuners have done modifications to utilize the base from an older YZ/YZF fork, but they don't really produce that much better results either.

IMO, the best solution to these is the kit from SMART Performance. Dave Johnson completely reconfigures the base valve in the fork to get what I think is a result that is all around much better than stock, or what you are describing.

I agree here. As well as for the earlier KYB fork.

i found the problem. somehow my steering damper had gotten turned up to almost full hard. i raced an 80 mile enduro yesterday with tons of logs and roots, deflection is back to minimal like it was when stock. not sure how damper would have moved that much, maybe kids messing with it!

oh and suspension does feel much better overall now. forks feel very plush, rear soaks up stuff good too.