Sign in to follow this  

Neutral indicator light

Been searching around, finding info on the neutral switch wire, but nothing on tapping into it for a neutral light. I have a 04 WR250F and 07 YZ250F. Both have auto-clutches and have been great for the trails. The problem I am having is when doing hill climbs, sometimes I will still end up killing the bike. The WR isn't such a big deal with the electric start, but the YZ is a real pain to get going again with the kick start. So I have several problems I need to deal with.

1. Seems once it is hot, the auto-clutch is probably grabbing a bit even with the clutch pulled in. If the bike is not in neutral, I can not kick start it.

2. Once the bike is hot from trying to climb the hill, it doesn't seem to want to start as easy. I probably need to do some tuning to help with the starting.

3. When stuck on a hill, it can be hell trying to get into a position to give it a good kick start.

4. I love the auto-clutches, but finding neutral with them can be a real pain.

Combine these problems with already being worn out from trying to climb the hill, then trying to position the bike so I can kick start it without sliding back down the hill, and I am hating life! Picking a trail that was more challanging than expected quickly goes from having a great time to wanting to throw the bike down the hill out of frustration. Obviously I would regret this, but at the time it sure seems like it would feel satisfying. :busted:

So what I am looking for is some guidance on installing a neutral light, so I can tell when I am in neutral. I'm sure I'm not the first person to want this, but haven't found anything on installing one. Since there is already a switch installed, I wouldn't think it would be that hard to tap into it. The WR already has power on board, but I will need some kind of battery for the YZ. Might even just be a 9V, enough to power the light. I haven't really look into how the switch works much, but I am guessing it is just a matter of it being grounded or not.

Has anyone already made up a guide or thread on how to do this? I think I can figure it out, but could live without recreating the wheel if someone else already has it figure out.

The wire you want to tap into is the sky blue wire. That is the wire that tells the CDI that the bike is in neutral. Do a search or google "Sky blue wire mod" and that should lead you into the location of the wire.

I'm not trying to be a smartass. I genuinely do not know. There's ALOT I don't know.

I see guys with dirtbikes on back of pick-ups all the time during the midle of the week. There are no tracks around here, they must be woods riding. 90% of them are motocross bikes.

Why ride a YZ250F in the woods rather than the WR250F?

Because that's what they have I'm guessing. A lot of guys on here ride their YZs on the trails and I see quite a few YZs on the trails I ride at too.

I'm not trying to be a smartass. I genuinely do not know. There's ALOT I don't know.

I see guys with dirtbikes on back of pick-ups all the time during the midle of the week. There are no tracks around here, they must be woods riding. 90% of them are motocross bikes.

Why ride a YZ250F in the woods rather than the WR250F?

Because the YZ250F is a better woods bike than the WR:ride: Thirty pounds of weight is a huge difference.

If you can find out what the neutral wire's polarity is when in neutral I can design you a circuit.

Thanks, but I figured it out. Was going to post a couple pics, but been really busy. As expected, it was pretty easy.

WR - Positive terminal of light spliced into one of the switched power wires I found up behind the headlight area. Negative terminal of the light connected to the sky blue wire. Once in neutral, grounds it out, and completes the circuit.

YZ - No on board power, so snagged a litium ion battery from my electric helicoptor that I haven't touched in years. Positive terminal of light goes to the positive lead of the battery. Negative terminal of the light connected to the sky blue wire. Ground of the battery connected to the frame of the bike.

Was going to snag a LED from some old electronics I have laying around, but found mini LED turn signals at CycleGear for $15, and seemed to be an easier solution.

The battery method wont work on the YZ unless you connect the negative lead on the battery to the ground on the bike.

It's very crude electrical, but should work.

Yes, that is correct. I said ground, but ment the negative lead of the battery. It is pretty crude is suppose, but I don't need anything other than a light that comes on when in neutral. What would have you done? Something to just make it cleaner looking, or something more complicated with the circuit like a fuse or something? You don't see it hurting anything, do ya?

Yeah, I would have gone more complex haha. I would use a 12v relay for isolation so you don't overload the ignition circuit. But since your using a LED as a light you will be fine.

I want to do this mod, but I'm wondering if running power to the ignition circuit would change the ignition timing. I understand that the Neutral switch retards the timing for easier starts.

seems a relay to isolate the battery circuit when bike is running/ mag providing power verse not to choose the power source would be a good idea, as not to charge the battery or effect the CDI . Possibly double pole,double throw. Good idea as well !! Have even thought of a small lead acid 12v for this and emergency short term headlight power (01 wr).

Edited by Vinsanity

seems a relay to isolate the battery circuit when bike is running/ mag providing power verse not to choose the power source would be a good idea, as not to charge the battery or effect the CDI . Possibly double pole,double throw. Good idea as well !! Have even thought of a small lead acid 12v for this and emergency short term headlight power (01 wr).

I think a classic 9v battery would work for the neutral light. I have a 01 also and I think this just gets too complicated without having a starter battery. What will power the relay when the motor is not running? Is the power going to the neutral switch AC or DC? If its DC I believe you would need a Diode between the battery and the CDI unit.

I think a classic 9v battery would work for the neutral light. I have a 01 also and I think this just gets too complicated without having a starter battery. What will power the relay when the motor is not running? Is the power going to the neutral switch AC or DC? If its DC I believe you would need a Diode between the battery and the CDI unit.

All are DC, rectified AC so pulsating DC. DPDT relay is normally closed/normaiily open, so when bike is not running the srping loaded relay falls to the normally closed battery pole or terminal.

The other thing to consider with the neutral saftey switch is it retards timing for easier starts, but more importantly rev limits the motor so if for some reason you try to wind it up with no load, not to throw a rod or smack a valve.