Sign in to follow this  

rekluse z start vs waiting for EXP

Rekluse is not making an EXP for the KTM 200, my dealer tells me that it is in R&D currently.

I am wondering whether the Z start is worth the extra money compared to the EXP, or whether I should wait it out until the EXP is ready. Is the Z start really that much higher quality? hard for me to justify spending a few extra hundred for somethign that is of equal quality but at a lower price.

Anyone have any idea when the EXP for the 200 might be done?

I have no idea when an exp may come out. I have an exp in one bike and a z-start in the other. I would definitely recommend getting the z-start and not waiting. I really like the amount of adjustability and softer clutch pull of the z-start. I'm not a huge fan of the very hard clutch pull on the exp. I just picked up a z-start on ebay for $300. You may keep your eyes out for something like that.

I've been contemplating getting a Rekluse for one of my bikes. Went to their website to do a little research. Appears to be 3 options for many bikes: EXP ($399), CoreEXP ($629), and z-StartPRO ($899).

EXP works with existing clutch components and cover, but have to eliminate 3-4 clutch plates. Limited adjustability and stiffer clutch pull.

Z-Start Pro was first introduced in 2005. Comes with new clutch plates, pressure plate, clutch basket and center springs. Fully adjustable with lighter clutch pull than stock at low rpms.

CoreEXP introduced in 2009 and updated EXP 2.0 for 2011. Comes with clutch plates, basket, pressure plate, springs, and cool black anodized clutch cover. Fully adjustable, clutch lever feels like stock.

Based upon what I have read, I'm leaning toward the CoreEXP for my CRF450X. Seems like newer technology? Although, pretty dang pricey MSRP at $899. However I have not had the opportunity to ride a bike with any of them. Don't mean to hijack thread. Hoping folks continue to respond on differences in how they feel.

go with the EXP core!!!!!!! Super easy to adjust, super easy to install, well worth the steep price tag. Whether on the track or trails, everyone with a Rekluse around here runs the EXP core, even the dudes that work at Rekluse that I see around run it.

I've been contemplating getting a Rekluse for one of my bikes. Went to their website to do a little research. Appears to be 3 options for many bikes: EXP ($399), CoreEXP ($629), and z-StartPRO ($899).

EXP works with existing clutch components and cover, but have to eliminate 3-4 clutch plates. Limited adjustability and stiffer clutch pull.

Z-Start Pro was first introduced in 2005. Comes with new clutch plates, pressure plate, clutch basket and center springs. Fully adjustable with lighter clutch pull than stock at low rpms.

CoreEXP introduced in 2009 and updated EXP 2.0 for 2011. Comes with clutch plates, basket, pressure plate, springs, and cool black anodized clutch cover. Fully adjustable, clutch lever feels like stock.

Based upon what I have read, I'm leaning toward the CoreEXP for my CRF450X. Seems like newer technology? Although, pretty dang pricey MSRP at $899. However I have not had the opportunity to ride a bike with any of them. Don't mean to hijack thread. Hoping folks continue to respond on differences in how they feel.

I think you have the CoreEXP price confused with the Z Startpro price.

z start pro. I have them on two of my bikes. All my race bikes will have one for now on. I ran one in my wr450 last year all season, switched to a yz250 this year,I put one in after owning it a week. Super easy and reliable. I have not owned an exp because i have had such a great experience with the Pro.

totally depends on if you like a stock feeling clutch.. and a 200 would have a HARD clutche pull?? really?? It would amaze me if that is the case. I HATE the flippy-flop feather lite feel of a z-start pro. This is old technology but some LOVE the z-start as they got used to the zero-feel lever.. I have been racing mx, riding dirt/woods, racing harescrambles forever so wanted the firmer "REAL-FEEL" of the clutch lever WHEN I WANTED TO USE the clutch.. (you don't HAVE to use the clutch remember!) so went with the CHEAPER ($399 retail) exp .. the expCORE is $899 as you have to use the larger cover that is $130 of the price tag, and the other parts that come with. The exp takes 10 minutes to instal and you adjust at the clutch lever perch. Better oiling/cooling with the core however as you use all the stock plates AND the exp ring. The exp (not core) you remove some plates, so you can't ride up a 1mile an hour hill in 3rd gear for long or you will smoke the clutch. So. if your a decent rider to begin with, and are usually in the right gear (and on a 200 you would need to be) the exp would be the way to go.. IF you decide you want the "full-wammy-jammy" you give them the price diff and they will send you the rest of the stuff to upgrade to the exp core.

I think you have the CoreEXP price confused with the Z Startpro price.

I think you're right. The CoreEXP is the most expensive. Thx for the clarification.:busted:

Should have said:

"Appears to be 3 options for many bikes: EXP ($399), z-StartPRO ($629), and CoreEXP($899)."

totally depends on if you like a stock feeling clutch.. and a 200 would have a HARD clutche pull?? really?? It would amaze me if that is the case. I HATE the flippy-flop feather lite feel of a z-start pro. This is old technology but some LOVE the z-start as they got used to the zero-feel lever.. I have been racing mx, riding dirt/woods, racing harescrambles forever so wanted the firmer "REAL-FEEL" of the clutch lever WHEN I WANTED TO USE the clutch.. (you don't HAVE to use the clutch remember!) so went with the CHEAPER ($399 retail) exp .. the expCORE is $899 as you have to use the larger cover that is $130 of the price tag, and the other parts that come with. The exp takes 10 minutes to instal and you adjust at the clutch lever perch. Better oiling/cooling with the core however as you use all the stock plates AND the exp ring. The exp (not core) you remove some plates, so you can't ride up a 1mile an hour hill in 3rd gear for long or you will smoke the clutch. So. if your a decent rider to begin with, and are usually in the right gear (and on a 200 you would need to be) the exp would be the way to go.. IF you decide you want the "full-wammy-jammy" you give them the price diff and they will send you the rest of the stuff to upgrade to the exp core.

I only have experience with the Z-Pro, but I have no issue with a vague feel when using the clutch (YMMV). Once the engine RPM's come up it looses the flippy-floppy feel you describe, and I still find that I use the clutch quit a bit. I have mine set to engage as quickly as possible, this may help eliminate that vague feel vs a slower engaging set-up.

I bought mine right before the EXP was introduced and had no idea that product was coming, it may be the better way to go, but the Z-Pro has performed flawlessly for 3 years in my bike, so I have no complaints or regrets.