Sign in to follow this  

Collar Bone advice please.....

Dr. Mark,

I broke my right collar bone Sunday morning and the ER Dr. said the x-rays might appear to be a clean break but infact the bones were over lapping and hiding one bone behind the other. He also said that if the x-ray was taken from above it would clearly show the bones were over lapped. He said it would need to be pulled apart lined back up and plated.

I went to my ortho today and he said it's a clean break and not overlapping and recommends just letting it heal with a figure eight on.

I just would like to know if it is overlapping or just butted up and what you recommend.

I'm in the Beaumont, Texas area and race MX in Houston and surrounding area.

Here is a link to the x-ray. http://s689.photobucket.com/albums/vv257/jaybird67k/collar%20bone/

Thanks, Jason

Jason, you should leave that thing alone so it will heal crooked and maybe slow you down. I would like to beat you at least once before I retire.

On a more serious note. Dr. Mark, I broke my right clavicle about 10 days ago, and it's 4 pieces. There are two floaters in between the left and right halves. Before I try and figure out how to post an xray, is there a general rule that a clavicle in this condition should be repaired? Local Ortho said that left alone it would heal, but I would loose some overhead reach mobility and strength. I know this is vague info, and I will try a post some pics if needed. Any advice would be appreciated.

I would never allow any person to loose overhead mobility and strength on my watch. So, if you come to me with this same problem, I will fix the bone as if it were never broken.

Thanks Doc, I appreciate the quick response.

P.S. Fix my buddy Jason up all right a proper, so when I finally do beat him there will be no excuse.

Had 9 screws and a plate. I thought that I was going to jump up off of the table and go right back to work, but I forgot about this thing called anestesia. It was a few hours before I could put a coherent sentence together, or walk a straight line. The Doc was surpried at how much it had glued back together in two weeks. I'm not going to push my return time to riding. I got a list of things around the house I need to progress on. I'll test the waters after the New Years.