Stewart´s slim JGR Yamaha...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the first things Stewart asked JGR... Can you make my bike slimmer over the shrouds ?

Clearly they could... and that was one of many things that made Stewart sign with them for 2012.

Just read it in an interview, so its a fact !

1. Yamaha YZ450 shrouds are two pieces - one for the radiator and one for the airbox.

2. That shroud is one piece.

3. JGR can make anything they want out of carbon fiber, in any shape they want.

4. It is extremely difficult to make graphics that wrap all the way around the front of a complex curve without bubbling or creasing (look at the front of the shroud.) Thus, I don't believe those are carbon-look graphics.

Conclusion: those are different shrouds, and probably slimmer.

The area around the lower bolt for the shroud looks carbon fiber, can't realy tell for the upper.

Why would the white decal be cut out for the hole but the carbon fiber area of it not be?

Expand the picture out then zoom in on it (bottom corner of the window on internet explorer). I zoomed in to 200% on a HD monitor, you can see that the tank cover is definatly CF. The thin black tape covering the shroud/tank junction is even showing the CF weave texture.

I feel silly putting this much effort in finding out what kinda shroud JGR is running.... But in conclusion; Tank cover = Carbon Fiber, Shroud = Carbon Fiber or the best decal job ever.

I'm guessing here but he is probably testing the bike for supercross. With shorter tracks and cooler temps it looks like maybe slimer radiators. Also white shoes make your feet look big where black shoes make them appear smaller, maybe that works with radiators and shrouds?

One thing that I hope (for Yamaha's best) is that they start taking notice of these special parts JGR develops and taking stuff that works in to production.

Now that JGR gets full factory support this would be logic.

I think this is one of the bad things about OEM's dropping their factory teams. There isn't the same development as it used to be ! The OEM's learnt so much more about their bikes when they are constantly working with the machines in racing situations.

This could also be one of the reasons why James struggled with his setup the last 2 seasons. Yamaha has not had the same test staff and development as the had when they did run the team em selves .

Isn´t carbon fiber body parts illegal for AMA racing? Because of the sharp edges if they break? Or is that just for the fenders?

I think its illegal with carbon fenderparts yes... But I guess JGR is just using these for testing and will probably make a plasticversion for A1.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know about HRC but I think my yz is bulky. I have the cycra shrouds and it is a little better but it should be thinner by far. The yamaha would be easier to turn in tight spots and ruts if your leg wouldn't have to stick out so far to the side. If JGR develops new thin shrouds I hope the put them up for sale. Just to test my theory I removed the shrouds totally and made a few easy laps and the bike was much more comfortable and I could tuck my knee in better and get the bike to lay over with less effort.

Geico Honda uses Lightspeed carbon fiber skid plates.

^^Wow that doesn't even look like a YZ450F...

Yes, I have noticed that on the Geico Honda bikes as well. I took some pictures of Chad Reed's Light Speed carbon fiber front brake rotor guard and rear chain guide in the pro pits at Budds Creek this year. So yes, some teams do use carbon fiber parts on their bikes.

HRC, you must think that your Yamaha is awful bulky. You seem pretty hung up on this deal?:busted:

Actually nothing that bothers me that much really. Just enjoy watching and talking about new trick stuff. These problems-threads gets pretty boring sometimes. Can be interesting to talk about something else for a change.