Sign in to follow this  

First post here...wondering what gear to buy for street tarding.

Hi, this is my very first post here.

I was wondering what you all would recommend for a helmet, googles, backpack & jacket for street tarding.

Was thinking of this helmet, but cannot find it in my size (Large). I think it might be discontinued.

http://www.ironpony.com/ironponydirect/product.asp/ImageName/KBC-HLMT-SUPERX-STEALTH-GUN.jpg/Brand/KBC/Class2/Helmets/Class3/Offroad%20Helmets/Class1/

Was thinking of this for a backpack, but not sure of the quality.

http://www.ironpony.com/ironponydirect/product.asp/ImageName/ECLIPSE-LIDLUGGER-PERFORMA-BACKPACK.jpg/Brand/ECLIPSE/Class2/Casual%20Wear/Class3/Backpacks/Class1/

Any experience with this brand, eclipse?

Thanks.

0hioB0b

Don't cheap out on a helmet. Shoei, arai something with good standing. ie DOT and SNELL approved.

Leather with armour is always good and if you go down you will appricate it and your skin will also.

As for your question about the brands I haven't heard of them.

Dress for the crash, better it wears out from sun fade than a 70mph slide in denims and a t-shirt.

Check out the ICON gear. I wear an Icon Variant helmet and Contra jacket. You can go with some Road Race boots or MotoX boots. Find a pair on craigslist for a lot cheaper than new. Same with pants. Leather or textile with CE pads for knee's is a big help. Like someone said dress for a crash. Even low speed crashes leave a rash!

I have full motocross setup, that I wear when its 95f plus. I also have a street jacket, and a full face helmet, motocross boots are hard to get used to at first with wheelies but they are very protective. I found most of my stuff on clearance, but it wasn't clearance cheapo crap like you are looking at. I stick to name brand/proven when it comes to stuff that can save my arse.

OK, that is what I was trying to ask.

What brands (name brands) do you recommend for supermoto gear? (helmet, jacket, boots, jeans, etc.)

Someone mentioned Icon. Any others? I am totally clueless when it comes to offroad gear. I have some Icon gear(TiMax jacket, Field Armor boots, TiMax gloves) for my cruiser bike, but wasn't sure of what helmet to get.

Also, I know it sounds like a copy cat, but I really do like the off-road helmet with goggles look while riding a SM bike. But I am not sure what brand is a good, great, best brand. (Thor, Bell, KBC, etc.) Thor just sounds cool, but not sure how good they are.

Also, if it says DOT & Snell approved, does that make it street legal helmet?

Thanks.

Welcome to the exciting world of SM your going to love this chit.

I prefer a street helmet to a open face one. Allot of guys wear open face helmets but after I had the visor on mine catch the wind at 45 mph and snap my head back I only use it for off-road, I sure don't want to see what happens at 90 mph if it catches the wind.

I use a mix of off-road gear and street gear (use what you like)

I have a Joe Rocket street jacket that I love. As some one else said buy gear with pads and dress for a crash.

This time of year check the closeouts at cycle gear, motorcycle superstore or other sites.

Motorcycle Superstore has a Shift jacket on sale for $99 and a couple AFX helmets on sale.

I buy most of my gear on fall and spring closeout.

Have you checked out the Supermoto Junkie forums?

Edited by Jonny Enduro

just remember when it comes to protective gear...you get what you pay for

as far as that back pack look into S.O.C. or black hawk something with a chest and waist strap you can tighten down so it doesnt shift around while your riding!

Mostly when i ride on the street I wear an Arai Vector, some joe rocket kangaroo palm gloves, joe rocket jacket and riding jeans(they make good quality stuff at a good price) and i have some shift riding shoes. Just like these guys said dress for the crash. I always have on leather, no textile for me. Sometimes I wear my shoei VXR motocross helmet on the street depending on the type of riding(i dont like bashing my arai against tree limbs off road).

My Jacket is a Joe Rocket Sonic 2.0

Gloves , joe rocket sonic for colder weather(less perf). Speed master for most riding, also i have some olympia gloves for really cold weather.

Pants, Joe Rocket - Rocket Jean. I really didnt plan on buying this much Joe rocket stuff but it just worked out as good deals and good quality.

Shoes - Shift Fuel Street Shoes.

2010-Shift-Racing-Fuel-Street-Shoes.jpg

I have been happy with all this stuff. My only gripe is with the jacket. Im 6'3 and i wish it was taller. Its really hard for me to find a jacket that is long enough for my arms and goes to my waist without having a 54" belly:bonk:

When im shopping for gear i look for stuff with quality stitching(ive had too many crappy gloves where seams pull out so i spend extra money here usually). Jackets, if you pay less you will get harder and thicker leather, maybe goat or really tough cow hide. They make up for the quality difference by making it thicker. I like a little softer leather cause its easier to move around in. My 1 piece suit is a Technic and I like it but its a little on the stiff side.

vector_white_290x290.jpg

Mostly when i ride on the street I wear an Arai Vector, some joe rocket kangaroo palm gloves, joe rocket jacket and riding jeans(they make good quality stuff at a good price) and i have some shift riding shoes. Just like these guys said dress for the crash. I always have on leather, no textile for me. Sometimes I wear my shoei VXR motocross helmet on the street depending on the type of riding(i dont like bashing my arai against tree limbs off road).

My Jacket is a Joe Rocket Sonic 2.0

Gloves , joe rocket sonic for colder weather(less perf). Speed master for most riding, also i have some olympia gloves for really cold weather.

Pants, Joe Rocket - Rocket Jean. I really didnt plan on buying this much Joe rocket stuff but it just worked out as good deals and good quality.

Shoes - Shift Fuel Street Shoes.

2010-Shift-Racing-Fuel-Street-Shoes.jpg

I have been happy with all this stuff. My only gripe is with the jacket. Im 6'3 and i wish it was taller. Its really hard for me to find a jacket that is long enough for my arms and goes to my waist without having a 54" belly:bonk:

When im shopping for gear i look for stuff with quality stitching(ive had too many crappy gloves where seams pull out so i spend extra money here usually). Jackets, if you pay less you will get harder and thicker leather, maybe goat or really tough cow hide. They make up for the quality difference by making it thicker. I like a little softer leather cause its easier to move around in. My 1 piece suit is a Technic and I like it but its a little on the stiff side.

vector_white_290x290.jpg

I'm 6'3" also, and the Joe Rocket 2.0 is the only jacket I've found that comes in tall sizes.